Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pouring a chamber cast............

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

What do you use as a funnel of sorts? I tried using an aluminum foil funnel, it leaked I think, or I over filled the chamber not really knowing how much I needed. It was a real mess in a 1912 Chilean Mauser. Thanks be to God I was able to Dremil tool out the part that went into to locking lugs without any damage to my collectible rifle. SO I am at the stage where I still want to use Cerrosafe but I don't want another accident like the last one. Aluminum foil funnels are a no go for me from now on. I see Midway USA just shows using a ladle to pour in the alloy in a 43 Mauser, I am not sure I want to go that way either. Another poster on You-tube shows using a piece of what looks like Tygon tubing and a funnel to feed the chamber area, this seam like it would melt. As I set here, I just thought, I have access to Teflon tubing and it is temp. stable to 200C. Maybe that would be the ticket. What do you use......?
The Cerrosafe melts at about the same temperature as boiling water.
You can use a plastic funnel, and it won't melt. Heck, you could use a funnel made of paper and it would hold up long enough to fill a chamber.

If you get a Cerrosafe casting locked up in your rifle, just turn it upside down and heat the steel gently with a heat gun or propane torch. It will melt right out.
If nothing else, stick the stripped action in a pan of boiling water for a minute, or so.

CM

Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.
piece of 3/8" copper pipe flared on the one end. melt it in and pour it with a lyman ladle.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment