Friday, August 30, 2013

Best load choice, .308 Win, SMK 168

Hi guys,

this is my first post here, so I want to say hello from sunny Poland!

I spent half of the Sunday on a range while shooting some groups to find a sweet load for my rifle. Some of them are pretty good and I'm not sure which one to choose. Personally I think 41.8 gr would be the best, but I'm not sure if it will be fast enough for 600 meters shooting (I will be able to measure the exact velocity during my next visit on the range).

This load will be used for a target shooting with a distance up to 600 meters (I know the bullet might not be the best, but it can't be changed at the moment).

Some facts:
- groups were shot from 300 meters, the shooting conditions were moderate (slow wind, but a lot of sun -> mirage),
- rifle: Savage 12 F/TR (straight from the factory, no tuning, ~100 rounds fired up to this point), .308 cal,
- bullet: Sierra Match King 168 grain,
- powder: VV N140, primer: Federal 210M, brass: Lapua,
- OGL (length from the bottom to the ogive, measured using Hornady Bullet Comparator and Mitutoyo Caliper): 2,2185 inch,
- COAL: ~71.00 mm/2.800 inch (exact lenght depends on the bullet lenght, slightly varies),
- one big square on the targets below is 1 MOA @ 100 meters (so it's 1/3 MOA @ 300 meters).

41.6 grain

41.8 grain (ignore the flyer, I made a mistake when pulling the trigger)

42.3 grain

42.4 grain

42.7 grain

Thank you for any hints!

Last edited by armak; Today at 01:10 PM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment