Sunday, August 25, 2013

Just got back from the range

Took along five tools.

New Henry in .357 and a Cattleman also in .357. Unfortunately I neglected to take along any .357 ammunition so it was a little embarrassing.

I had loaded some .45LC for a comparison of 777 and Pyrodex. The platform was the Rossi M92 Carbine. Fun to shoot. I noted about 70 fps more with 777 than with Pyrodex from that rifle. About 1160 as compared with 1230. The load was 27 grains by volume from a Redding powder measure. Used a card and then cornmeal for filler. I sure do like that power measure for cartridges.

Also took along the trapdoor carbine with the new sight. Perhaps you recall I made a new sight for it because the first one was too short. This one is too tall which I was pretty sure would be the case. I'll take it down a bit and then smooth it up at the range the next time out.

Took the new Sharps along as well. Very interesting comparison with the trapdoor. I was using a 405 RNFP from a Lee mold. That was backed up by 70 grains of 777. Both rifles shot between 1250 and 1300 fps. I imagine that I can hold a closer group with the Sharps. No surprise since the Trapdoor is 130years old. The Sharps sight is a little more user friendly.

I did learn something about the Sharps action. It is not a good idea to close the breach with the hammer forward. The rifle discharges when you close the breach. This is why I never shoot with anyone else around.

Saw about a six or seven foot snake. It did not appear to be interested in shooting, so I left it alone.

__________________
Doc

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment