Friday, August 23, 2013

Red dye/paint on shot brass

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

1wise1 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2011LocationCarrollton (Dallas) TexasPosts3

Going through a bag of 9 mm brass to ready it for reloading and noticed a dozen or so Seller & Beloit shells. ("Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia, now Czech Republic, Factory in Vlasim)" ....thanks to the guide.

They have a bright red stain/paint all over and around the primer. Is this some kind of glue, lock-tight etc. or just cosmetic? This is the first and only time I've seen anything like this on ammunition and since I have made it nearly a day without asking a stupid question. Anybody got an answer?

Primer sealant; no biggie. Got some .303 and 7.62X39 with some of that on them.
Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

To me it's a red flag. I have no serious problems with S&B cases, but the primer pockets are a smidgen smaller than others. Consequently I accumulate them and ever so often load them separately. I do better when all the pockets "feel" the same.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.", old Chinese proverb.
To me it's a red flag. I have no serious problems with S&B cases, but the primer pockets are a smidgen smaller than others. Consequently I accumulate them and ever so often load them separately. I do better when all the pockets "feel" the same.I collect them until I have a bunch and then standardize them with my Lyman reamer chucked into a drill motor.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I collect them until I have a bunch and then standardize them with my Lyman reamer chucked into a drill motor.I've done that too with my old school Lyman hand reamer. But what works for me is having them all feel the same as I seat primers. An occasional tight pocket just throws me off and I tend to seat them high. But when they all feel the same, I can get a good work flow going and seat them consistently.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.", old Chinese proverb.
I would treat them like they have a crimped or military primer pocket. Personally I throw them in the pile to swage them into 40 cals.

S&B brass is my least favorite brass to reload. The pockets are just to darn tight.

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789]) Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Benjamin Franklin
I like the S&B 45 acp brass. They are a little tight the first loading. After that they are no different than how Win. feels. They seem to last a very long time also. This is 45 brass. The only other S&B brass I have used is 7.62x54 and I do not recommend that or the Win. The Win 7.62 is made by S&B and the head stamp is the only difference. The pockets are too small and too shallow and the brass is very hard. Does not last very long.
I haven't been able to get the sealer off no matter how many times it gets loaded and sent back into the tumbler afterwards.
But it makes me happy to be able to just look for the red flag then toss in the scrap bucket, the pockets are too tight and it is awfully hard brass, hard enough that it crushes cases and scrapes the plating off of my Berrys bullets where as the Win-Fed-CCI brass does not. I rank it with military brass in the 9mm; not worth the trouble when I can find piles of other brass on the ground after each weekend.
Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
Alba an Aigh. Blessed are we few Armenians!
"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment