Wednesday, December 25, 2013

.223 Rifle Twist question


Reply

Old Today, 05:12 PM My 24", 1:9 twist has shot good, 53 - 60 grain with at least 1/2" groups @ 100 yards no matter what powder or charge you use. With some work, it shoots much smaller.

With the right powder and load development, it shoots 2 - 3" groups @ 500 yards with 69 grain SMK's.

It also does very well with the round nose 70 grain hunting bullets @ 400 yards. I never plan to shoot those past 200 or so yards but our range doesn't have a 300 yard berm so I had to use 400

I've never tried anything heavier/longer so can't say for sure but usually those longer/heavier bullets require a little more that 1:9 twist.

As for damage to the rifle/barrel, that's not going to happen unless you get frustrated and wrap it around a tree.

One thing I have found out, don't waste your time, powder or primers on those cheap 62 grain FMJ Armscor's. I bought a couple K of those for my AR's and they are absolutely, 100% pure junk. They do just fine in an AR that is for nothing but home defense and would probably never be shot at anything smaller that an 18x35 target, at less than 100 yards, but don't expect to hit anything small. I use those to foul the barrel when I'm shooting for my smallest groups and in a rifle that shoots one hole groups with good loads won't shoot 1.5" groups with those things.

Reply With Quote Old Today, 05:56 PM Originally Posted by TMan View Post My 22" 1:9 barrel will keep 65gr bullets point on and stable as far as I can shoot on my range, 300yds. The 69gr MatchKings look the best as I hit the upper end of the velocity range, near 3000fps, but shoot poorly at 2700fps in starting loads. From my rifle, the 65's have been more accurate.

I suspect it's telling the same story as MontyF has seen. But if you have a longer barrel, and can get more speed/spin, you might be OK.

No hazard to speak of, and they might shoot OK out to 100yds.

Thanks everyone, your information is priceless and greatly appreciated.
I have the Savage 12 with a 26" barrel, and was wondering if the additional length may be a significient asset ?
I did a bit of research and it appears that I really have to up the velocity to reach any decent kind of stability with this 77 grain bullet which is something I'm not too crazy about doing.
It went as follows:
2000'/s velocity = stability of 1.190
2550'/s velocity = stability of 1.291
3000'/s velocity = stability of 1.362
3500'/s velocity = stability of 1.434
I have a few powders that can give me acceptable velocity without compromising the maximum
load, so I may try a few not expecting too much. I already purchased them, so I should
at least confirm everyone's findings :-)
Thanks again! Reply With Quote Reply





All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:01 PM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment