Saturday, December 28, 2013

6" revolver- too long for HD?

Hello

I am the proud owner of a new Ruger GP-100, 6 inch stainless. Practically still warm from the factory. I like it exceptionally well. It is very tight and seems to be quite accurate. Haven't had a chance to get it sighted in yet however, if it even needs it. Hits dead on at 30 yards regardless.

I bought this handgun mainly for range use and target shooting. However, I also am planning on using it as a home defense gun in the near future when I move. Would you consider the 6" barrel a pro or a con for a home defense revolver?

I sort of consider it a plus in some regards. Muzzle blast would be reduced especially with magnum loads (I plan on running .38 spl +Ps btw), and the muzzle heavy weight at least for me seems to keep muzzle jump down even with hot loads. I can very quickly and accurately empty the cylinder firing 158 grain .38 specials and even Federal 125 grain SJHP .357 magnums aren't much more difficult to control.

Often I hear people say a shorter handgun may be a better idea. I also VERY often hear of folks recommending 18.5-20" barrel pump shotguns for home defense duty as well. Mas Ayoob is a proponent of using handguns for home defense on the ground that they are far handier and more maneuverable than a shotgun. He advocates using a long gun only in planned areas where you can hunker down more or less, and not moving through the house with such a large weapon. I tend to agree.

So what are your thought on a 6" barreled home defense revolver? Would I have been better off to go with a shorter barrel or will the 6" tube be just fine or even advantageous?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment