Saturday, September 21, 2013

Beer Keg for smelting pot

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I've been reading about all of the things that make a good smelting pot, and I have determined that a full size beer keg cut in half would make a great smelting pot. It has a very sturdy ring around the bottom, it fits perfectly on a fish fryer burner, and best of all, it is made out of stainless steel.

What say you????

Bo

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
Thomas Jefferson
it should work most excellent........(holding back sarcastic comment about how much pot you can smelt in a beer keg)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be offering the GC seater plate for the lyman 45.
Also I have replacement springs for the Lyman 45 lubesizer, If your's is weak or missing, let me know
Make sure you drink all the beer inside first.. no sense in waste
Don Purcell is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2011Posts280
Are they stainless steel or aluminum? If aluminum don't do it!
You mean you didn't take it back for your deposit??

I also was thinking along the lines of JonB with a sarcastic response to the title...

I believe most kegs are stainless to keep the beer colder but I'm not sure about that, I don know I would like to get a few empty kegs for different projects including a grinder stand, never thought about smelting but they would work nice for that if they were steel, since they are so thin. Actually, on second thought, aren't some kegs two piece? With a liner and a shell, wouldn't they separate after you cut them?

Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
Alba an Aigh. Blessed are we few Armenians!
"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith
Every keg I've ever seen was aluminum.
Every keg I've ever seen was aluminum.Joe, there are some aluminum kegs out there, but the majority of them are made of SS, they just look dull.

Beer kegs are made of stainless steel, or less commonly, of aluminium. A keg has a single opening on one end. A tube called a "spear" extends from the opening to the other end. There is a self-closing valve that is opened by the coupling fitting which is attached when the keg is tapped. There is also an opening at the top of the spear that allows gas (usually carbon dioxide) to drive the beer out of the keg. The coupling fitting has one or two valves that control the flow of beer out of and gas into the keg. The keg must be in the upright position, that is, with the opening on top for the beer to be dispensed

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
Thomas Jefferson
I just made my first smelting rig out of one. Holds ~400lbs. A joy to use. Go for it!
I just checked the three I have for when I used to brew beer. It's quite possible they are stainless steel. I always assumed they were aluminum.
I don't see any markings though.
SlowSmokeN is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2012LocationOregonPosts199
I just checked the three I have for when I used to brew beer. It's quite possible they are stainless steel. I always assumed they were aluminum.
I don't see any markings though.
Get a magnet, it should tell you everything.
Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick
Get a magnet, it should tell you everything.Magnet no sticky. These are over 10 years old. Maybe stainless became the norm after that.
I wish they were tin.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment