Sunday, September 22, 2013

Shooting 325 and 360 grain .45 Colt

This is from about 35 years ago; I tried out the then new shooting game called handgun metallic silhouette shooting. The only big-bore handgun I had was a Ruger blackhawk 45 colt. IIRC it had a 6.5 inch barrel. I loaded some 250 Hornady HP bullets, went shooting.

I was hitting pretty well out to 150 yards,(turkey target), but when I tried the 200 yard rams, I could not hit them, well one out of ten. My spotter said it looked like the bullet was "sailing". After the match, I had some shells left, I shot them from 300 yards with several people watching. The bullets went to just over 150 yards, then began a corkscrew arc, ending up anywhere from several feet from aim point, to 20 feet!

Talking to a couple of gunsmiths, and reading some stuff, it was decided the rifling twist was just too slow for 250 grain bullets. That 45 colt was traded for a used 44 mag.

I don't know if Ruger has made the 45 colts they currently make with a faster twist. I also don't know if you plan on shooting those heavy-for-caliber bullets at long range. But I'd bet they will De-stabilize beyond 150 yards, maybe closer!

I don't remember what that twist was, that's a long time ago. I'd guess it was 1-22, that number seems to sound right.

__________________
The more people I meet, the more I love my dog

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment