Thursday, September 19, 2013

M40 Sniper Rifle

Remington -- USMC M40 Vietnam sniper rifle

In the summer of 69, I took a M40 to the range and the first group I shot with it measured a little less than 3/4 inches at 300 meters. The ammo was military issue. I liked that rifle - though the scope was not the best.

The M40 is basically a Remington 700 in 7.62 or 308 win with a few modifications -- but it has the identical bolt as the 700. Over the years I've put thousands of rounds thru many M700's and Remington 600's and never had a failure to extract with even one - once. While in the Marines I never heard of any M40's failing to extract in the Vietnam jungle or anywhere else.
I've also never heard nor seen a failure to extract on any 700 Remington. My dad had 722's and 721's and I never heard of a failure with his rifles, though I think the 721, 722, and 725 extractors are a little weaker than the 700's. I'll be 64 in a month or so and have been shooting since I was a tyke.
I have experienced failure to extract though and it was in a Mauser 98 that my dad had rebarreled for me. It happened when I used Win 760 as a direct replacement of Win 760-BR. The pressure, I'm sure was quite high. Was it the rifles fault. Absolutely not - it was a young teenager's. . I've also seen a failure to extract on a Ruger 77 -- 220 Swift. The primer cup was expanded to the max. Was it the rifle's fault -- no. It came from shooting prairie dogs fast and furious on a hot day and with max loads... I have seen a case expanded so much that the case had to be removed from the bolt face with a pliers after the case action was opened on a 700.

I'd like to hear from someone that actually first hand had a failure with a Remington 700 extracting and that the failure was not caused by high pressures or other outside causes.

__________________
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Life Member NRA
USMC Veteran 69-72


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment