Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Would you feel guilty shooting a "collectible"?

I have one and only one "Safe Queen"...it's a 1931 vintage 1903 Springfield National Match, complete with O'hare sight covers, the Star gage report, and the sales receipt from Camp Perry to the original owner. It's been scrutinized by a number of high end collectors as 99% condition...as good as they get....

That said, I took the old girl back to Camp Perry in 2006, exactly 75 yrs after its last appearance there, and used it to shoot the Springfield match...I silver medaled with it, and also managed to shoot 92 at 600 yds the day before during the sight in practice. I nearly missed the Springfield Match after I'd taken it over to the Marine's team trailer to see if they would touch up the trigger for me. Getting it back out of their hands was a chore and a compliment to their respect for a great rifle.

That was the last time it's been fired...and will remain so, til my boys get it. Just holding that old musket is an experience, let alone shooting it. It was a boyhood dream to own one, and I was extremely lucky to find it, almost 20 years ago...and for the princely sum of $1600 it was mine. I've been offered a lot more since, but it'd be the last rifle to leave my house.

There's collecting, and then there's Collecting...I'm in the business of Collecting memories, shooting memories, and that ancient '03 is one of them.

Rod

__________________
Our Flag does not fly because the wind blows against it,
It proudly waves because a soldier's dying breath blows upon it.

USAF Forward Air Controller, 5th Spl Forces,
An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment