Friday, July 19, 2013

After all, Glock isn't that innovative, is it?

From the little I know I'd say their design had innovations, even if not innovative in and of itself.

As was already said, they chose hydrocarbon polymers as the basis for their frame which is cheap to manipulate as well as giving an end product that fares far better against the elements than many all-steel guns.

The other aspect for me would be the use, or rather lack of use, of an external safety, yet still having a gun that is safe to handle, chambered, provided you observe "the rules". I've not heard it said that another gun featured this before the Glock, but I may be wrong.

When people say "if it isn't broken, then why fix it?", I'm inclined to agree. They haven't tried to with 1911s, much, the CZ 75 is still being sold and hasn't been superceded. If someone walked out Gen 1 Glock 17, are they suddenly going to be inadequately armed? No. Now if gun technology moved on to such a degree that the Glock performed to antiquated standards, or they themselves had an idea that would revolutionise the gun market, then fine they'd need to change, but if they did so now, just for the sake of it, then they'd risk loosing their customer-base who like their guns precisely for what they are now: remember the Coca Cola recipe change debacle?

As for the aesthetics: I don't mind saying that I like them, personally. I find beauty in function, and as I've owned my G19 and I've grown as a shooter with it, I find it kinder on the eyes back when I bought it simply as a good gun that turned up at a great price. All the same, the lines are simple yet distinctive: they've made a gun all of whose variations are instantly recognisable: it is part of the brand image, a bit like Converse All-Stars or H.D...

I certainly can't see why people get irritated by either their slogan or marketing success: after all what part of modern life, particuarly in the USA, is not built on marketing? Everyone does it... why single out Glocks?...

__________________
You cannot wake someone who is pretending to sleep. Stop pretending. Wake up. Doubt: ...it's the only thing I'm sure of...-Marsupials: Nature's idea of Concealed-Carry-

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment