Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Working up a powder load from scratch.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

BoolitChaser is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationSLC, UtahPosts8

In addition to casting my own, there are LOTS of places in this town to buy cast bullets of all popular calibers. Here is the problem. I can cast/buy all the cast bullets I need. Powder is a different story. The only powders in ANY local stores are the lesser known, lesser used powders. Lots of shotgun powders, NO pistol powders.

I have all the powder I need right now, but there is no load data for some of my powders and certain cast boolits. Here's what I have come up with. Your input is anxiously sought and if this is a stupid idea, just say so.

Let's say I want to load some 110Gr flat nose hard cast in 38 special cases. There is no load data for Titegroup and that cast boolit. Not in print, not online (if there is I can't find it).

Here is my method. Look at other Titegroup load levels for other similar weight bullets in 38 special loads. This gives me some ballpark lo/hi potential loads for 38 special Titegroup in similar (close) cast bullet weights.

Now, I can find a load for Bullseye in 38 special for a 110gr flat nose hard cast bullet, but I do not have any Bullseye and cannot find any. Here is where the science part comes in.

Step 1 - write down the Bullseye load for that cartridge and bullet.

Step 2 - find another 38 special load for a similar weight bullet (say up to 130 grains) that lists loads for Bullseye AND Titegroup. As an example, using made up numbers, lets say the minimum loads are Bullseye 3.8 grains and Titegroup 3.6 grains. There is also a 2 grain difference in the maximum loads for the same two powders.

Step 3 - do the same for several more Bullseye/Titegroup loads just to be sure that the 2 grain difference isn't an outlier.

Step 4 - take the MINIMUM Bullseye load for the 110gr lead bullet (from step one), subtract 2 grains to get the Titegroup equivalent. Check the calculated starting load and check to be sure that it is within the hi/lo range for other Titegroup loads in a 38 special round with a similar weight bullet.

Step 5 - Load up 5 rounds placing the calculated load in the center round and then go 2 grains up and 2 grains down for 5 rounds. Take to the range. Load ONE round at a time and fire it. Check the target. If there is no hole in the target then check the pistol for a squib. Document recoil, accuracy, etc. and fire the other 4 rounds and record their results.

Step 6 - Take the best performing load and use it to work up an accurate safe load.

Comments? Is there an easier and/or safer way?

That is exactly how I do it. Have fun and let sanity and common sense be your guide. A powder burn chart is pretty handy too!
"Bullseye 3.8 grains and Titegroup 3.6 grains. There is also a 2 grain difference"

I think that you ment to use 0.2 grains difference, not 2 grain difference.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Lafaun

Don't blame me, I voted for the American, again!
or you could just use 4.3 to 4.8 grs like the book I have here shows.
it's a 110gr jaxketed load so you might wanna reduce it a tick.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

"Lots of shotgun powders, no pistol powders".

Shotgun powders ARE pistol powders. With a few exceptions all shotgun powders work quite well in pistol cartridges. Red dot, 700X, Clays just to name a few.

What shotgun powder can you get? Look in your manual, you will likely see it listed for handgun.

BoolitChaser is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationSLC, UtahPosts8
That is exactly how I do it. Have fun and let sanity and common sense be your guide. A powder burn chart is pretty handy too!Thanks. I have a powder burn chart and have included its info in my notes. Didn't want to complicate the example with burn rate considerations.

(Barrett's Law of Driving #1: You can get ANYWHERE in ten minutes if you go
fast enough.)

Last edited by BoolitChaser; Today at 06:58 AM.
BoolitChaser is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationSLC, UtahPosts8
I think that you ment to use 0.2 grains difference, not 2 grain difference.
Correct me if I am wrong. LafaunNo, you are right. I was doing the post late at night after an exhausting day. When doing the actual calcs I use a calculator to avoid the types of mental errors you pointed out. Calculator - always right. My Brain Late At Night - Foggy. When doing the actual calcs I tripple check everything. A ten fold error like in my example could be the end of the pistol - or me.

(Due to revised security regulations your new password needs to contain a capital letter, a number, an emoji, 8 elements from the Periodic Table, and a plot containing a protagonist with some character development and a twisted ending. Thank you.)

BoolitChaser is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationSLC, UtahPosts8
or you could just use 4.3 to 4.8 grs like the book I have here shows.
it's a 110gr jaxketed load so you might wanna reduce it a tick.My book shows that same load for a 110Gr Hornady XTP. My initial calculations give 3.2 to 4.0 for 110Gr lead. That's why I was asking for input from wiser hands.

(Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics: 1) You can't win; 2) You can't quit; 3) You can't break even.)

BoolitChaser is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationSLC, UtahPosts8
What shotgun powder can you get? Look in your manual, you will likely see it listed for handgun.My next move is to visit the gun store again (the ONE that actually has some powder) and make a list of ALL available powders. Then return home and see which ones might be listed for pistol. Thanks for the input.

("I hate people that quote themselves and think it's funny." - ME!!!)

RedneckRob is online now Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts4
Carry your book/s with you. That's what I do. The one that's closest one to me has reloading books there for the customer to go through to make sure they get everything they need.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment