Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Making a junker shoot

I picked up a M-700, 270 last week for the action to build another rifle with. I've done this many times in the past and enjoy taking a piece of junk and see just how good I can make it shoot, before I take it apart to build the one I want.

This latest rifle and a mild bend in the barrel, someone had painted it flat black, inside the action, bolt, trigger assy, everything. At first I though it was Ceracoated, but there were large places on the barrel it was coming off. Washed it all down the Denatured Alcohol, that took every bit of what ever it was off and it looks band new now. I chucked it up in the lathe and using hydraulic rams I straightened the barrel to within .001" and lightened the trigger pull to 2.5 pounds. I also cleaned several years of carbon out of the barrel and fixed a problem with the scope.

I'm sure whom ever had this thing is saying they would never own another 700, because no way could they have hit anything with it. They probably got mad and did something that bent the barrel.

I had some 270's already loaded so I took it out today and shot three, three shot groups @ 100 yards and they averaged about 1 1/2" groups

Since this is still a stock, factory rifle, other than the trigger adjustment and the only one I have, I've gotten a brainfart. I'm pretty dang good and making a rifle shoot extremely well so I'm thinking of getting a few factory loads and shoot a couple of groups for a baseline. Then I will start working my magic and documenting everything as I go. Doing all my little tricks that most anyone can do to the rifle (no special machine work like blue printing), and building an accurate load just to show how much one can improve a rifle with the proper TLC.

The problem is, this may be a long drawn out project if I get it done. The first of August I will be going back to Texas for a few months.

Last edited by BKeith; Yesterday at 05:15 PM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment