Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What's a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of random brass worth?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I was at a scrapyard earlier(found out a buddy from high school is the manager there)

Anyways, he offered me a 3/4 full bucket of random brass for $100, 48lbs worth.

Worth it or not? I glanced through the top layer or two and found about 8-10 split necks, out of roughly 100-150 pieces.

There is a lot of different brass in the bucket, mostly rifle brass it would appear.

Would you buy it to resale?

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
workin @ Ft. bragg
Yellow brass scrap value is $2 ish a pound....48x2 is $96..... so no I don't see any reason to buy it just to resale it...no money there.

.....as a general rule I never buy scrap brass at the junk yard.....you just don't know what the brass has been through, not worth the risk.

I went back and looked through it a little more thorough, about 1 in 3 cases had split necks and several were bulged.

I was curious, it was the first time I've been down there and I'd never seen brass at a scrapyard before(never really looked), at first glance, thought it might be a decent investment, until pencil went to paper and I figured out that the r.o.i. wouldn't be worth a durn.

Thanks

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
The yard I go to does get large quantities of brass in every once in a while. Just like wheel weights he allows me to go through and pick out specifically what I want. The brass is range brass just like some of the stuff offered here. I'm fortunate that I am able to take home jet what I want.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton
Well it sounds like someones rejects , I crush my cases when I reject them for necks , cracks or primer pocket issues , I would consider buying some if they were a caliber I needed and they were not discards , I did sell a half a bucket of rejects and berdan primed to the local scrap yard , $40.00 for it.
I started to skip this thread just because it seemed to have a giant hole in the logic sequence. However, I have bought and sold brass for some years and know that the price seems high for such unknown factors. I think his price is close to double what it should be when all the labor and risk of caliber is on you.
Not to me. There's just no way you can tell what the stuff has been exposed to. It might be there because some commercial reloaded determined it was worn out. All that glitters is not gold sort of thing.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.", old Chinese proverb.
Unless he can tell you it came from a range clean up, then stay away from it.

The only people that bother to pick up brass are reloaders. That means the cases have already been rejected. Also the high occurrance of split necks should tell you to stay away also.

truckjohn is online now Boolit Master Join DateJan 2007LocationUpstate, SCPosts233
Not any more buddy...
There are lots of folks combing the ranges now who just want to sell brass to the scrappers.... Many of them don't even shoot... but they show up on Weekends and scoop up all the range brass... Can't fault them for the effort and their work does keep the ranges clean.... but Reloaders don't have the chance at that brass because the Scrappers pick it all up...

If you really are curious about whether it's worth it or not.... Check out Gunbroker and search up what brass is selling for.... It's selling for less than you would think - especially common Non-military stuff like 40 S&W and 270.... That stuff never really saw Ammo shortages like 308 and 223 did....

Thanks

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment