Friday, July 19, 2013

Gold bullet ???

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Skip62 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateMay 2013Posts51

So I've got just a little bit of gold jewelry and was wondering if anyone ever melted it down and made a gold boolit? Could it hurt the mold?

Thanks
skip

Lol, I was just talking to my wife about this the other day, i thought it would be a good way to stash Silver
Melting point of gold is about 2000 degrees - Do no use an aluminum Lee mold to cast your bullet.

An iron mold may hold up for a couple of casts.

Don Verna

Skip62 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateMay 2013Posts51
Melting point of gold is about 2000 degrees - Do no use an aluminum Lee mold to cast your bullet.

An iron mold may hold up for a couple of casts.

Don Verna

OK, I'm out on that deal. Thanks for the info, I had no idea it would be that much hotter than lead....WOW! ! !
If you really want a gold boolit, cast one from parafin and take it to a
REAL jeweler, not some bozo jewelry salesman. They can make a "lost
wax casting" using the parafin boolit, altho they MIGHT need it made
from his particular wax. In any case, they are set up to do fine quality
casting of gold and silver, but the need a wax original. I have never
tried to cast wax in a boolit mold, but it should be doable.

Bill

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
Skip62 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateMay 2013Posts51
Thanks Bill, I actually know a guy that used to have a jewelry business. Says he's still got all the tools, I'll give him a call. I just think it would be cool to have sitting in the reloading room.
flounderman is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2008Locationcoastal north carolinaPosts892
With the price of gold around 1500 dollars an oz, probably better to have it in a safe.
Skip,
If you can't find a jeweler that will make one, talk to a dental lab. They would have all the things needed to make a casting from a wax pattern.
Jeff
Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.
Thanks Bill, I actually know a guy that used to have a jewelry business. Says he's still got all the tools, I'll give him a call. I just think it would be cool to have sitting in the reloading room.If done please post a picture
Gold is pretty and all, but, maybe it's just me. I think I'd go with silver boolits...............
Shawn

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."

Winston Churchill

After buying a bunch of lead, I don't think I can afford any silver. Neat site!!! When funds permit, I think I'll get a few, once they get the .22!!!!
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment