Monday, October 28, 2013

Advice for cheapest .223 and 9mm loads possible

Hi guys and girls. This is a topic that might be of interest to other like minded cheapskates, like me.

I am a little shocked by the current cost of components. Ten years ago I was able to reload 50 rounds of 9mm for about $4. I just assembled my first box today, and my math says I paid $9 for 50 rounds (cost of powder, primer, and projectile). This price doesn't include brass (or the reloader and dies, etc) bc brass can be reused, unlike primer, powder, and projectiles. Adding to my costs is that bc I'll be shooting through a silencer, I have to shoot all jacketed projectiles. I'm not sure what unjacketed projectiles would do if shot through an mp5, even unsilenced.

I don't consider time to be a cost factor bc I enjoy reloading, it doesn't seem like a job, and I can crank em out with my Dillon 650.

Question. I will be shooting .223 out of a full auto m16, and 9mm out of a full auto mp5. This means accuracy is not important. I just want the loads to cycle the action.

What is the cheapest possible powder, per load, that can be used for .223? Cheapest for 9mm?

I'm curious, per 50 rounds of 9mm, what are your costs? How about cost of 20 rounds of .223?

For anyone curious. I did the math on my new reloading set up. I'm using a fully equipped Dillon 650 with all possible upgrades. After the cost of dies and other equipment, like scale, trimmer, brass cleaner, etc, I would have to shoot 15,500 rounds just to break even.

My reloading set up costed $2500. I'm saving $8/box of 50 9mm (I save $8 a box bc at Cabellas a box if 50 is $17, and it costs me $9 a box). At that rate, I would have to shoot 312 boxes, or 15,600 rounds, just to break even.

I forgot to include, I had to pay $500 for my reloading bench. So that's $500 more.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment