Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Stinging my face!

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

dondiego is online now Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013LocationMilan, MIPosts35

When I shoot loads out of my .30 cal carbine revolver loaded with Win. #296 powder I get a lot of stinging particles hitting my face and it is quite uncomfortable. Is this normal for this powder or is my barrel gap too wide??? This also happens with some of my .357 revolvers and 296.
Feeler guages will tell you, but M1A eyeball will do pretty good. Should be a SMALL amount of light coming through. If you can slide a business card in there, it's too much.
And what bbl length? But I imagine the 30 Carbine is a fairly long bbl, so Never Mind...
Echo
USAF Ret
NRA Patron
O&U
If a man is in the desert, and says something, and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts246
The only time that has happened to me (2 or 3 times) the revolver was out of time. The boolit is hitting the forcing cone out of alignment shaving lead. The revolver (s) need to be repaired (timed) IMO.
That is normal for my Carbine in a short gun, sorry
2400 will do the same thing
I use a ski mask with eye holes, safety glasses, and DOUBLE ear protection (plugs and muffs)
I feel this is unburned powder escaping,
It is not fun, please check out your gun for the following ailments (see links below)
Mike

some fun reading

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/10440-looking-used-blackhawk-30-carbine.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1401254

p.s. shoot the carbine next to a piece of white cardboard and see it the spitting is powder or lead shavings

Last edited by skeettx; Yesterday at 02:21 PM.
NRA Benefactor 2004
Echo was talking about the gap between the cylinder and barrel...Too tight and a few shots your pistol will lock up from heat expansion, too loose and you get splatter. I'm not a pistol smith so I don't know the correct gap size for your pistol...Seems to me it is about 2K to 6k..It can be tightened up with a correct size shim...the other problem which could be is out of TIME that needs work from a pro or someone that knows more than me.
I would start by checking the gap...Hopefully it is not common to those carbine cartridge pistols
.30 carbine from a handgun is the loudest report I have ever heard.

Shiloh

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
Bertrand de Jouvenel

?Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.? ? Joseph P. Martino

?If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.? ? Milton Friedman

.004"-.006" cylinder gap. Tighter and a burned kernel of 296 will stop the cylinder from turning. Auto Parts stores have feeler gauges cheap.

Make sure the cylinder locks up every time.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment