Sunday, October 20, 2013

Range Lead?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

steve4102 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2011Posts4

I have an opportunity to purchase some lead ingots made from "range Lead". I know this is not exact and almost impossible to know for sure, But.

What would be a good guess as to the Hardness (BHN) of range lead from an indoor range?

Thanks
Steve

Get it!

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	P4110002.JPG <br />Views:	13 <br />Size:	61.7 KB <br />ID:	74129

That's all from my clubs indoor range. It averages about 12-14 BHN, needs some tin added for good fill-out. That's just half of what was in that backstop.

Here's some 40's made from it.

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	P5160030.JPG <br />Views:	15 <br />Size:	48.1 KB <br />ID:	74130

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

?At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat?--Theodore Roosevelt

mrblue is offline Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationMichiganPosts126
If the price is right Id say get some. It beats having to dig it out of the dirt pile at my range!
I use range scrap almost exclusively for all my pistols. Works great in my 9mm, 40, 45acp, and my 45 colt. I can't beat the price, free. Just gotta dig it up and process it.
I've used it "as is" for 38 Special and 45 ACP loads. As Snuffy suggests, you might need some tin, but try it "as is" and see how ductile or how well it fills out your molds before that expense.
Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Range scrap is my primary source as well. I buy superhard from rotometals to sweeten the alloy with antimony a bit but it doesn't need much.
My scrap ranges from 12 to 13 one day out of the mold up to 22 aged for a month. Part of this depends on how I separate prior to smelting.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I wish I had a way to test the lead from my range. I have to assume that it would be consistent from any range so I just go with that. I mix mine with some tin when I have it and some wheel weight lead.

A question for the experts (obviously not me) - would water dropping also increase the hardness and I have read a little about heat treating. Don't want to hijack the thread but if the OP is concerned about hardness it might be helpful to know.

steve4102 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2011Posts4
I'm going to get it, just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks for all the help.

Brenden is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationNebraskaPosts16
the rang lead I get ranges 8-9 bhn its alot of 22 and jacketed.
I cast using 2 ingots range lead and 1 ingot of wheel weights, works for me.
SlowSmokeN is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2012LocationOregonPosts202
I use range scrap almost exclusively for all my pistols. Works great in my 9mm, 40, 45acp, and my 45 colt. I can't beat the price, free. Just gotta dig it up and process it.Same for me. Works in them all and the price is right
Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick
Idz is online now Boolit Buddy Join DateMay 2013LocationNew MexicoPosts61
My indoor trap lead measured by my Lee hardness tester is usually 8-9 BHN. Its a mix of 22 LR, cast, plated, and FMJ bullets. A big user is law enforcement so FMJ is probably the majority. Shotguns aren't allowed so it probably mostly lead+tin
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment