Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lymann Lubsizer

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

mrblue is online now Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationMichiganPosts124

So I'd like to start looking at options for lubsizers. I think I want to go with a Lymann, and was wondering what type of prices that a 450 used would go for and also any information experiecne you have with one. Thanks
I bought mine from ebay several years ago and it was about $100. It was very clean and almost new. Ebay is a good gauge of the market at the time. Everything gun is inflated these days so I wouldn't count on a bargain.
If liberals knew what they were missing, they?d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! ? James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)
The Lymans are good for small production , 1 thing people are always trading or estate selling dies.

prices are reasonable , but on the auction sites can esculate to new prices fast .

There`s updated linkages & most problems can be remedied ,as there are many threads on this subject .

For pure production the Star is the way to go , dies(more expensive) & initial set up is a bit more
time consuming but once ya have it WA LA it`s 2-3 times faster as it is a pass thru system .

I own 2 450 (updated linkage) & 1 Star , I set the star for what I shoot most 38/357 & use the 450s for smaller runs of 44s & rifle & the 450s have 2 different lubes, so to size/lube with different lubes just swap out the die .

Both the 450s & the Star have their nicks when it comes to lube/sizing.

mrblue is online now Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationMichiganPosts124
The Lymans are good for small production , 1 thing people are always trading or estate selling dies.

prices are reasonable , but on the auction sites can esculate to new prices fast .

There`s updated linkages & most problems can be remedied ,as there are many threads on this subject .

For pure production the Star is the way to go , dies(more expensive) & initial set up is a bit more
time consuming but once ya have it WA LA it`s 2-3 times faster as it is a pass thru system .

I own 2 450 (updated linkage) & 1 Star , I set the star for what I shoot most 38/357 & use the 450s for smaller runs of 44s & rifle & the 450s have 2 different lubes, so to size/lube with different lubes just swap out the die .

Both the 450s & the Star have their nicks when it comes to lube/sizing.

Now do you really need two? You should totally sell one to me
I've had a 450 for about 27 years and have used the heck out of it. Back in 1987, I loaned it and some molds to a buddy. He pretty well trashed 2 molds and the sizer in a couple weeks. He was new, made some mistakes, but offered to replace my stuff. He purchased everything new and tried to swap with me. I kept mine, showed him (again) how to take care of stuff and he did ok.

The molds were Lee and pretty banged up. I was able to straighten them out and they still cast great to this day. One mold has cast over 500k and is still going strong but I did have to replace the sprue plate screw by drilling the stripped hole and replacing with a slightly larger bolt. It works like a champ.

The sizer, that's a different story. The 'O' ring for the seal plug at the bottom blew out. The seal plug was originally staked in and replacing the 'O' ring didn't stop the leaking. If I apply too much pressure for the lube, or if I use a lube heater base, I get blow by. I eventually sorta fixed it by putting it back together with some JB weld. If you apply too much pressure it will still blow by the plug.

The Perfessor did a really nice work up on the modification he did to his 450. I would classify the Perfessor and a 'Zen Master' when it comes to his machining capabilities. His approach to fixing the seal plug blow by is way beyond my abilities.

I'm about tempted to mig weld my seal plug once and for all. I believe the Lyman 4500 is solid on the bottom as an upgrade to the previous model. I don't think Lyman would have changed the design if there wasn't an inherent problem with the 450 in this regard. For now, I keep the pressure quite low, down-stroke the boolit into the die, and apply a little more pressure, just enough to fill the lube groove but not blow by on the seal plug. I kind of got a feel for it.

Having more than one sizer would reduce the need to change dies, and/or would allow for having different lube types available. I am mostly using White Label BAC and so changing lube is not an issue. As far as changing sizing dies, I have taken to heating some water to almost boiling and then dropping the die into water. In no time, the die is hot and I pull it out, wipe off the lube with a paper towel and put it back into its holder after it has completely dried.

Other than the seal plug blow by I haven't had any problems with the Lyman 450. It does a great job. My older sizing dies only have 2 sets of lube ports at 180 degrees, and my newer dies have 4 sets at 90 degrees. It has been a good tool and has served me well.

"Silence in the face of tyranny implies consent, and I do not consent." Mike Vanderbough, April 20, 2013
I been a-likin' my Lyman 450 since about 1970.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.", old Chinese proverb.
i have two 450 setup on my bench i got them both here they work great
i think i payed $75. for each of them
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies
When I set up my loading room a few years ago I picked up a Lyman 450 and an RCBS both off eBay and both used, under $100. Of the two I prefer the RCBS but, since the Lyman holds my pistol/BP lube I use it more.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment