Thursday, October 17, 2013

Installing gas checks?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Swampcrawler is offline Boolit Mold Join DateNov 2012Posts8

I posted in the molds forum asking for recommendations for a mold for my new 357 maximum. I received many good suggestions. So on to the next problem. I don't have a single stage press. I use a hornady lnl progressive. And unles I'm mistaken, Im going to need to run the boolits through a sizing die to attach the gas check, and I can't do so on my progressive. So what's the most cost effective way to be able to do this? I don't want to dish out the dough for a high end single stage. I was wondering if it would be possible size/install checks with a lee hand press? I know that would be pushing it but it's definitely cheap. Just looking for a way to get into boolits without needing a whole new press. Thanks guys!
I have been using one of these http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html for doing what you describe. At one time there was an offer that combined this press and the Lee reloading book as a combo for a low price and it may still be available. Even though I use Star lube sizers this press is still used to seat and crimp the GC's prior to the lubing.
I use a Lee reloader press just for de priming and for making my gas checks. They are good for lots of things, I knew a guy who took the handle off and used it to hold his powder measure.
"Silence in the face of tyranny implies consent, and I do not consent." Mike Vanderbough, April 20, 2013
Since about 1970, I've just set one in the die, put the boolit in it and worked the handle of my Lyman 450. Countless operations later I've had few problems. None with Hornady crimp-ons I can remember; occasionally I have a Lyman GC fall off the boolit base. I just stick it back in place and move on.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.", old Chinese proverb.
I have used the Lee push-through sizer on 500 S&W. That did not get checks fully seated, so they were often not square. The Hornady checks were real snug. I now seat the checks by hand using a piece of marble and a light nylon faced hammer. Then I use the Lee sizing die. If I ever load these in volume, I will get a Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer. I have a SAECO lubesizer, but it does don't go as big as 50 cal.
Honestly, how do you seat gas checks in a reloading press? I do it, but I had to make custom dies. There are no commercial reloading press dies that do it correctly. Most specifically including the Lee pushthrough, which cannot get them square, as Iron Mike pointed out. My home-made die presses the (Hornady exclusively!) checks on dead square, and from there the boolit gets transferred to the Lyman 4500 for crimping and lubing. You need a proper lube-sizer anyway, why waste money on a cheap Lee hand press (having dubious accuracy and dubious longevity) that could be going toward a proper piece of equipment. Buy cheap, buy twice.
"You are not a hoarder until you have exceeded a lifetime supply"
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment