Saturday, October 26, 2013

Casting WW .452 sizing

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

DrewTenney is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationNorth CarolinaPosts11

I have about 200lbs of WW ingot, and a lee 452-200RF mold. I plan on shooting these out ofa 1911, do I need to lead the barrell and check throat size etc before I load them, or just cast them, lube them, load them and have a great day at the range?
Gosh Drew I got away with doing stuff like that for years, decades actually. Even though I "know better" today I still sometimes just cast, size to a standard size, and load and shoot. Most of the time it works pretty well. Maybe not "match grade" but usually without leading and with reasonable accuracy. I say go for it and see what happens. Just make sure you make a dummy round to see if it drops into your 1911 barrel so you don't end up with a bunch of ammo you cannot use.

Duke

Unless it's some odd ball sized barrel (bore n groove) you should be good to go.
Don't try to solve a problem before it occurs.

I have been loading 1911 .45 ACP since around 1970.

I have never seen one that would not work beautifully with .452 bullets.

.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.

Where is John Galt?

(If you don't know, you owe it to yourself to find out. )
.

DrewTenney is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationNorth CarolinaPosts11
That's what I was hoping for, I've got plent of 45 cases, can make 7 dummies and make sure they cycle, check the barrell after 50 rounds for leading, I plan on buying a boolit sizer for my 308 but will work on hanguns first. Have not studied enough on gas check or paper to load over 2k fps...
You need to walk before you try to run.

You should not try to jump into 2000+ rifle loads on your first attempt.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.

Where is John Galt?

(If you don't know, you owe it to yourself to find out. )
.

DrewTenney is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJun 2013LocationNorth CarolinaPosts11
William, I agree, after a few thousand successes inhandguns ill move up to highspeed rifles.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment