Sunday, October 27, 2013

Winchester Model 70 or Tikka T3 Lite Rifle ?


Reply

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM One of the hardest kicking rilfes I've ever shot was on of those feather weight model 70, 270's. Trust me, I have some big bore rifles, 300mag and 338 mag, and neither of those ever put a hurting on me like that Winchester did, and I'm not recoil shy or sensitive.

I have a pre-64 270 I haven't shot in 40 years, but if I was going to buy an new one, it would probably be the Tikka. That's strickly based on the way the two I have shoot. A couple of years ago I bought a T3 Lite 243 for my granddaughter, but she didn't like it's recoil. That one was so flipping accurate, I was wanting a 22-250 and didn't want to wait a year to get one built so I figured I'd try one in the Tikka Varmint. It to is amazingly accurate. Don't know about other's experience with them but the two I have are two of the best shooting factory rifles I've ever shot. Now, be prepared to have it rock your world a little bit, because I'm sure at just over six pounds, it's gonna let you know you've shot it. They do have a lot of plastic but they are solid rifles where it counts, and they do shoot.

Understand, when I'm shooting the Tikka's, it's with loads I have well massaged for them. I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't honestly say how they shoot with factory loads.

One other thing, that black thing on the butt of the stock may look like a recoil pad, but it's not, it's hard, so you might want to consider the price of a LimbSaver pad in your pricing one out. That Winchester Feather weight I shot also had a solid butt plate.

Last edited by BKeith; Yesterday at 02:09 PM. Reply With Quote Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM Well, I finally get it thanks to each of you, Fred, Mike, and BK. Being new to hunting rifles is more difficult than shooting skeet with my 12 gauge IMO.....

I can ask one of my friends if I can shoot his 270Win T3 at the range, so I get to experience the recoil. Maybe I can get to fire a Model 70 as well for comparison, if not, at least I have at least one data point with the T3 experience.

Also, another friend said he paid $250 to have his 300WMG T3 ported which supposedly reduced apparent recoil by 15 percent. He also replaced the stock recoil pad that came with the gun. Do you guys see porting as really an advantage to get off the second shot, if necessary, it it only yields a 15% reduction in recoil?

Again, I greatly appreciate each of you explaining what I need to know.

Reply With Quote Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM If he is only getting a 15% reduction then there must not be very many ports or what is there is very small. Usually it's more in the 35%-50% reduction with a properly done port. There's one thing you can do which will save you money and reduce recoil for when you are at the range, there is a clamp on muzzlebrake and they are in the $80-$125 range.

Some of the clamp on's will give you 50%-60% reduction in recoil. Tikka actually makes one for the T3 Lite that will reduce the felt recoil by at least 35% and up. They are more expensive in the $175 range. There's a couple of negatives to using one of these and that is the muzzle blast will be outrageous and the people sitting any where near you at the range will not be happy. You can never go to the range and practice without ear protection or you will regret it.

It will help you stay on target better for a faster follow up shot if needed by reducing the muzzle flip. If you shoot it during the twilight period it will be brighter than normal and could blind you temporarily from the flash. I would use it at the range and sit to one end alone if possible and for me personally I would take it off for hunting situations.

Here's a few that make them, Tikka T3 HSS Clamp on Brake, Grizzly Gunworks, Coretac Solutions, Badger Ordinance, and Kahntrol.

Here's one more thing where recoil with the 12ga is concerned, it's actually much more than a 270 Win overall and in some cases much, much more. The numbers in parentheses are the weight of load in ounces and the muzzle velocity, then the numbers to the far right are the recoil in ft lb numbers. You can see that the 3 inch shells are about 2 1/2 times what a 270 Win would be with a 130gr or 140gr bullet.

12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/8 at 1200) 7.5 23.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/4 at 1330) 7.5 32.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/2 at 1260) 7.5 45.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 5/8 at 1280) 7.5 52.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 7/8 at 1210) 8.75 54.0

Last edited by fred243; Yesterday at 11:47 PM. Reply With Quote Old Today, 12:43 AM Location: Springfield, South CarolinaI have a good friend who is a gunsmith and I noticed he had put a Smith Enterprises muzzle brake on his rifle and he said recoil is severely reduced with it. Might be something to consider.

Then again you could add weight to a Tikka.

__________________
Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground, Firefighter I, Reply With Quote Reply




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:43 AM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment