Saturday, May 25, 2013

I now it is early BUT ...... !

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Seems early to be planning your loads for deer season.
I've been shooting my 358 Win. Weatherby that JES rebored for me with 3 groove rifling.

It is a " nail driver" ! ! It particularly likes bullets 250 grs. - 290 grs.

Here is my NEI 262 HP gas check. The bullet drops at about .361" .

Walt made this one years ago. A real pleasure to cast with. Erik HP'd it for me. It is a killer. It is one of the molds that I own that I just would not sell.

I cast about 300 of them today.
Nothing like being ready.

Last edited by Ben; 04-10-2013 at 07:10 PM.
The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I had 4 " In a ragged hole " and the 5th one went a bit high.

Ben

I prefer 5 shot groups, my trigger finger keeps ignoring that memo. Nice looking boolits and it's never too early. I did the 100+ degree casting stunt a couple of times last year, hope I'm smarter than that this year.
Care to share your alloy?
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
well after a trip to sportsmans warehouse today, I think everybody going hunting will be using cast boolits this year.
I hauled the 30-30 all over last year, and loaned my 358 out to a friend for some culling work.
I have a 308 load with some heat behind it using a 165gr flat point, i'll probably end up using that this year in the thick stuff, and my 25-06 I had built on a brno action for the across the canyon day's.
I have had it for three-four years now, I guess I should work up a load for it.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

My alloy is air cooled WW's.

That 25-06 is a real killer for those long shots. You'll like that rifle.

Ben

I'm having " a change of heart " on the length of my HP pins in my rifle molds . Long deep hp openings for me and some of my friends have created some bullet failures where the bullet entered a deer and EXPLODED . In some cases there is no exit hole.

I WANT AN EXIT HOLE ! ! !

As a result, I've taken several of my molds and shortened the HP pin as I did in my NEI 262 gr. .360 dia. mold that Walt made years ago. This is a very versatile bullet in the 358 Win. and my Ack Imp. 40 degree .35 Whelen.

I'll get some expansion with this, but the majority of the bullet will hold together and make a nice exit hole.

you know that looks about right to me.
a small part of the nose opening or even fractioning/shearing off inside the animal is not objectional to me [it in fact should help in hastening it's demise] I really do favor two holes and lean towards that direction to tilt it happening in my favor.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

ya know it has been said its never to early
I have found this to be true that the longer you wait after your boolits are made to use them, the better they seem to shoot
My 358's are now shooting similar to yours
ya know it has been said its never to early
I have found this to be true that the longer you wait after your boolits are made to use them, the better they seem to shoot
My 358's are now shooting similar to yoursSome of my rifles are so hard to get to perform well.

However, this Weatherby 358 Win. is so easy " Even a CaveMan could do it."

I believe if you chambered a chap stick , it would shoot it pretty well.

you know that looks about right to me.
a small part of the nose opening or even fractioning/shearing off inside the animal is not objectional to me [it in fact should help in hastening it's demise] I really do favor two holes and lean towards that direction to tilt it happening in my favor.I'm no rocket scientist , but If my math is correct, two holes would be twice as many holes to bleed from as one hole.

Yes, I like a good exit hole also.

Ben

it is usually the second hole that is the bigger one also.
i'm beginning to think that there is only going to be 3-4 of us that is going hunting this fall.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

My approach with my 358 Ruger is water dropped wheel weights flung at 2215fps with a 50% meplat (0.18", RD-230D mold). I think this should deform the nose a bit to deliver some energy on target and pass right through most anything. I too want 2 holes through the pumphouse(lungs/heart area) of anything I shoot.
Last edited by youngda9; 04-12-2013 at 08:39 AM.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment