Saturday, May 25, 2013

Smelting Question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Mark1174 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2013Posts1

Will a Weber Genesis Gas Grill generate enough heat for occasional lead smelting (wheelweights, scrounged shooting range bullets)?
Cmemiss is online now Boolit Buddy Join DateJun 2010LocationHouston, TXPosts54
I'm not an expert, but IMHO I think it would depend on the size pot you are using. At some point a large pot would give up too much heat to be considered. I would guesstimate that 20 or so lbs. might be a limit, but there are so many variables to consider it is like the question how long is a ball of string. Maybe someone with more thermal engineering can give you a better answer.
I'm not familiar with the Weber Genesis, but be very careful of the stability. An unstable platform under twenty or thirty pounds of molten lead is not such a good thing! The tried and true turkey fryers aren't expensive.
Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

I purchased a Weber Genesis last year and find it a great grill for cooking outdoors. However, I would never try to smelt lead with it. The heat is indirect to the grate. In addition, I tend to keep my smelting equipment away from my food.

I think you would be wise to acquire a burner from a turkey frier or some other direct propane heat device for your smelting. There's plenty of info on this site that should get you started effectively. Good luck and have fun.

35-k btu minimum is the number I come up with for melting alloy some time back.
more is better.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment