Saturday, May 25, 2013

My first lead melt tomorrow any tips?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Im melting my first COWW into ingots tomorrow. The pot in the pic is the pot I will be using. Anything I need to do to it before use? Lid on or off work best? Thanx for any tips!!!
Keep the melt at 650-700 if you can in case you miss some of those zinc ones. Also make sure to have proper gloves, shoes, eye protection, etc. I would put the lid on at first to help conserve on fuel as you first start to heat up the WW's. Also flux often to take out the junk/impurities. I'm sure I missed something but that's the basics.
KEEP WATER AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure the lead's dry before topping off the pot.
I have that exact same pot in picture. I can pour directly from pot when level starts getting lower and lighter. Grip the tab using vise-grip pliars to tilt
rich_kildow is online now Boolit Buddy Join DateAug 2011LocationNorthwest WIPosts63
I load it to the top and ladle out of it until it is light enough to lift, just as detox said. I let it solidify fully before refilling the pot so that as it heats up and eater will boil off before it has a chance to hit molten lead once. I had a spruce pick up a drop of after not to long ago and it scared the **** out of me. I can't imagine more than a drop going into a huge open pot.
Just finished a load of pure & range lead today & was using a new casting area which was a little higher than my usual bench & found myself at an uncomfortable working height.
My only suggestion after my effort today, would be to make sure you have your pot & ingot molds at an easy useable height..........had a lot of spillage working awkwardly while having to reach higher from the pot to ingot mold!!!!!!!
The weight using your ladle with enough capacity for your 4 ingots, & if you're over reaching. & after a couple of hundred ladle pours.........pain.

Other than that, it was a good day. any day is a good day when adding to your hoard.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."
Now that warm weather is here, it isn't so much a problem, but in cool temps, I find water condensing under the lid until the contents are above 212*. It doesn't cause a tinsel fairy visit, but the steam and sizzle unnerves me. I don't jump as good as I once did.
shadowcaster is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2011LocationNorthwest MontanaPosts172
Make sure that your lid is vented. This will allow any moisture/steam to escape. If you are using the lid that came with the pot you may have to set it on with a little space at the edge, or place a small stick between the lid and pot.

Shad

I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment