Monday, May 27, 2013

Lyman 457122 Tree Penetration Testing

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I had to shoot a few rounds on Friday to ward off a bad case of cabin fever. I loaded up these 330 gr. hollow points and a few 405 gr. fp.
I used the lowest starting Trapdoor data with Varget.

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	boolits.jpg <br />Views:	7 <br />Size:	50.3 KB <br />ID:	67519

I was following the boolit trails in the snow to see if I could find any, and came upon this tree. Being a new caster, I have never hunted deer with anything other than full-length gas checked bullets. After looking at the tree, I am convinced that even this tiny boolit, just barely truckin' along, would take care of any whitetail I would ever encounter.

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	tree.jpg <br />Views:	6 <br />Size:	55.9 KB <br />ID:	67520

Winter is back.
Regards,
Jeff

It takes some special perspective to make a 330 grain pill "tiny"!

I bet it will suit you well, though. Those are pretty boolits.

I shot a small tree down once. You're on your way to real firewood.
your 405 gr load matches the ballistics that millions of buffalo had an issue with a hundred sumthin years ago.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Until you actually kill an animal with one of your boolits, its hard to believe that they would work.
Afterwords though, you see what great a job they do and wonder why you doubted yourself.

Thats when I became REALLY (and I mean REALLY) hooked on cast boolits.

That poor ole tree. I dunno, maybe ought to call the tree police on ya.
I have enjoyed those same times. Sometimes ya just gotta get out.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment