Monday, May 27, 2013

Lee 311-93-1R

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I found a two cavity one of these at the gun show today for $10 and couldn't pass it up. I see it is listed for 32 caliber pistols and also for 30 Luger and 30 Mauser. It would seem to me that if sized at .310, it might work in a 30 carbine or maybe even as a plinker in a 30-30. Anybody have any experience with this mold. At worst, I could put it on Ebay and triple my money ( or maybe more ). Dale
" A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton
I own I in the 6 cavity version and it casts wonderfully! Oddly enough, I no longer have a gun I shoot 'em in, but I used to have a .32 acp, which I used that boolit in briefly. I have two employees who I cast for with this mold. One guy shoots it in a brace of Ruger Blackhawks in .32-20 for CAS/SASS, the other guy loads it in 7.62 Nagant for his old revolver. I imagine it would work just fine for .30, even if it is a little "light for caliber". I size 'em to .312 for the .32-20 and Nagant. Might not even need to size 'em for the carbine, but my experience with THAT little rifle is absolutely NONE.

It's a cute little boolit with regular lube grooves and I really enjoy casting them. Once I took some relatively "soft" alloy and sized them with a flat nose punch. I added some extra pressure at the bottom of the stroke and flattened 'em out, effectively creating a wide, flat-nose. It shot great in my guy's .32-20, but it really slowed the sizing process.....

So I don't know if this has helped or not, but I just have a sneaking suspicion it'll work for ya!
PSP.

The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
That's a good little boolit for 30-30 plinking loads. I just sold the 6-holer that I had after casting several thousand of them. It was prone to being fussy, some days it would drop six keepers every time, others it just would not work. Right now I'm debating whether to grab an NOE 311008 while he has some in stock.

Load it with 38 special charges, 2.7-3.5 grs. Bullseye. Accuracy is right in there with 22 rimfire results. Makes next to no noise or recoil, feeds flawlessly in my 94 Win, and puts smiles on the faces of anyone who shoots it.

I bought the Lee becasue it was available at a reasonable cost and because it was easy on my, then, diminishing lead supply. Since then I have found an ongoing source of lead so the extra weight isn't a problem into the conceivable future.

One difficulty I had with it is probably peculiar to me. My left hand is partially disabled and that tiny boolit was very difficult for me to put into my sizer and to get in case mouths when loading. The 311008 (I'm currently casting them in a single cavity 3118 Lyman) is easier for me to feel the difference in the ends so I don't need to watch my fingers quite so much when sizing and loading.

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. Dale
" A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton
I also have a 6 holer for that boolit. I load it at .314" in my Nagant revolver and the same with pure lead in my 32 S&W (short) H&R revolver. I have shot light loads out of my M-1 carbines that barely cycled the actions.
I have that mold and use it in 32 S&W, 32 Long and 32 H&R Mag. Works well in all. I also use it sized down ( after lube and sized .314) to .309 in my 30 cals for mouse fart loads. They make a little less noise than a 22. It is a fun plinker.

swamp

I used a DC for several years, I opened it to drop .314 from WW and sized to .313. Good mold, good design.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment