Thursday, May 30, 2013

Church Steel Shoot


Reply

Old Today, 07:30 AM This past Saturday we had our Church Steel Shoot. This is the fourth shoot we have had.
Depending on schedule we do this once or twice a year. I like to do this for our church family
We had our largest group ever with seventeen shooters.
Two adult women shooters, four college shooters of which two were girls, four were Junior High and High School students, and the rest were men.
It was great seeing all of these young people beside their parents shooting.
We shot at distances from around 330 yards to 775 yards.
Twenty targets in all with each person shooting twice at each target.
Targets were yellow or white that have one or two red dots painted (Dots are the size of a lid of a spray paint can).
Points are 1 point per hit and 2 points if you hit the dot. Each shooter engaged 21 targets.
Of those targets, 2 were bonus targets (4 points per hit).
I didn?t shoot, but spotted, called correction, and kept score.
We had two AR?s, a variety of bolt guns, and one SP (My son shot that).
Cartridges: 223 Rem., 243 Win., 25-06, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5-284, 264 Win Mag., 270 Win., 7mm SAUM, 308 Win, 300WSM, and 300 Win Mag.
A mother and her teen daughter used my AR-15 with the 6-24 Sightron S-III scope. One of our young married men used my 40X in 308 Winchester with the Mueller scope, and one of the college girls used my LH Rem. 700 in 6.5x47L (She was also left handed) that has the Burris Eliminator 3. I found out afterward her dad helped teach their local 4-H rifle shooting.

High Score was 48. My son took top score. He did well with the 7 SAUM XP-100 (Specialty Pistol).
The college girl who used my 6.5x47L took second. There was quite a bit of interest in the E-3 scope.
A junior high boy who used his dad?s custom 6.5-284 took third.
The man in his late 20?s used my 40X 308 Win took fourth.
Because of schedule conflicts there were 7 who didn?t make it.
Some of the guys who couldn?t make it Saturday plan to go out this week for some ?men?s fellowship time? to pick up the steel.
I can promise you there will be some more shooting at that steel before it gets taken down.

On a side note, while we were setting up, I lasered a hillside with my tri-pod mounted Vectronix Terrapin and it went out to 3036 yards
I am real impressed with this LRF!
I don?t have pics of the shoot yet, but as soon as I get some I will post them.
Everyone had a lot of fun, some picked up a new hobby in LR shooting and shooting guns in general.
I bought a power inverter that I can put in the cigarette lighter or hook up to the battery and took my laptop and printer with me. Made it a lot faster printing up drop charts after chronoing multiple loads.

Reply




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:29 PM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment