Friday, May 31, 2013

Which ingot shape?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Voters13. You may not vote on this polldilly is offline Boolit Man Join DateFeb 2013LocationMissouriPosts84

These are the types of ingots I can make. Either will fit in my RCBS Pro Melt (the reason I'm too broke to buy a regular ingot mold). What do you guys think will be more convenient in the long run?

Name: ingots.jpg<br />Views: 79<br />Size: 76.2 KB

Either. Both if you increase your smelting.
Pack some up in a SFRB and offer to swap for an ingot mold. Someone will have an extra. Or buy one for you.
Dusty Bannister is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2011LocationNE KansasPosts34
I prefer the muffin mold because you can pour them as thick as you like. Thin for winter use to feed the pot without causeing a large drop in melt temp. Thick for quickly filling the pot at start up. I also like to stack the biscuits in one gallon paint cans for storage after blending. The wedge ingots would likely fit fine in a white 5 gallon bucket for bulk storage if you wanted to do that as well. Goodwill Stores and the like are great places to look for these items. Good luck. Dusty
mrblue is online now Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationMichiganPosts87
I like the muffin molds myself. Seem easier to store.
shadowcaster is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2011LocationNorthwest MontanaPosts194
I say use the wedge shape as your primary and the muffins as secondary. I have 4 of the cast iron wedge pans that I use in rotation when smelting. By the time my last one is filled, the 1st one is ready to dump out. They are hassle free when making the ingots, stack nice (alternate points in and out or in a circle in a bucket), weigh in at about 2 pounds each, and will fit most any casting pot. The only muffin pans I use are the mini cast iron muffin pans. Cast iron is hassle free and a pleasure to use. I find that regular muffin pans are a pain to deal with. Too many issues!

Shad

I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!
triangles stack better structurally and more densely.
I didn't vote.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Make them out of angle iron stock,they stack better

Horace

Well, if you had a cannon with the same bore diameter as your muffin tin. . .

Truthfully, round bugs me. Round plates, round glasses, round beer bottles - all wasting lots of space in square cabinets and square refrigerators. You'll be "storing" a lot of air between your round ingots.

WWJMBD?

I like my science WEIRD.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment