Friday, May 31, 2013

Pot for melting Lube ?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Any particular
pot as far as SS, Aluminum, Teflon coated SS.
Would a 2qt. Non-Stick coated SS sauce pan be OK ?
SS or aluminum will work.

How big a pan????? How big a batch you making??...same question. Super soaped lubes foam over too small a pan...always use a pan 2X bigger than you think is needed.

Just do not use teflon for any of the HIGH SOAP/MIGH MELT TEMP lubes.....the temp needed to get a lube super soaped can remove the teflon right off the pan....it happened to me.

"Happiness is a target rich environment"
I use a stainless 2 quart.
like mike mentioned it's been close a few times making sodium stearate lubes.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I don't remember where I read it. However I know I saw a video on youtube when I was researching pan lubing and saw a guy using a old lee bottom pour pot as a melter for lube. Then he filled the pan up from that. One thing I read said when your lee pot won't stop dripping no matter what you try, why not use it for lube. Claimed it was thicker and wouldmt drip as much.

Again these are internet things I have read so take it for what that is , but if you have a old lee pot that won't stop that drip might try that.

Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?
SS or aluminum will work.

How big a pan????? How big a batch you making??...same question. Super soaped lubes foam over too small a pan...always use a pan 2X bigger than you think is needed.

Just do not use teflon for any of the HIGH SOAP/MIGH MELT TEMP lubes.....the temp needed to get a lube super soaped can remove the teflon right off the pan....it happened to me.

I'm thinking a 2 quart pot should do it.
Will be making Bens Red Lube.
So I should stay away from a pot with Teflon coating ?
So I should stay away from a pot with Teflon coating ?If you might leave the mix unattended, skip non-stick coated pans.
There are many documented tales of birds dying of fumes from empty pans heated on the stove.
As to human toxicity, the jury (literally jury trials) seems to still be out on that.

I'd be more worried about my wife noticing the smell of "cooking" lube.

If you might leave the mix unattended, skip non-stick coated pans.
There are many documented tales of birds dying of fumes from empty pans heated on the stove.
As to human toxicity, the jury (literally jury trials) seems to still be out on that.

I'd be more worried about my wife noticing the smell of "cooking" lube.

I'll be cookin' up the lube outside
I was wondering if the Coatings might come off or have a chemical reaction with the Lube ingredients.
Last edited by hylander; Yesterday at 06:00 PM.
wlc is offline Boolit Man Join DateMar 2012LocationALASKAPosts125
Better to be safe than sorry. go with a non coated pan. I got mine at the thrift store for a couple of dollars and brew my lube in the shop so as not to incur the wrath of my bride from stinking up the house.
I actually like a 1qt slow cooker w/ removable crock. Get one with two heat settings, makes quick work of any lube component w/o the hassle of a double boiler. The removable crock allows easy pouring. Something like $20 @ Wally, Target, etc.
EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol
you'll want 350-f+ to melt the grease, if you follow my directions in the bens red sticky.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

They been watchin too much EBAY , believe people will actually pay ridiculous prices for old used second hand stuff....maybe they don't realize Wally Mart sales it new and cheaper?
I use a double boiler. This way my lube never sees direct heat. It is probably over kill but I have not had any scorched wax.
I also use the small crock pot. Got it at the local thrift store for five or six bucks. Hylander, you need to find another thrift store.
I'll be cookin' up the lube outside
I was wondering if the Coatings might come off or have a chemical reaction with the Lube ingredients.Teflon type materials are inert - at room temperature.
It's the heating of an empty pot or pan that causes issues - if they are real.
None of my MIL's pots or pans have any non-stick coating left on the actual cooking area. It didn't cause any thing other than one Yale lawyer.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment