Monday, May 27, 2013

Heeeeeeeere Piggypiggypiggy!

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Finally broke in my Ranch Dog 454-290 mould last weekend, lubed and installed gas checks this past week and tonight I located a virgin bag of Starline 45 Colt brass! Needless to say a suitable quantity of WW 296 was rounded up and tonight I have 20 test rounds all loaded up and ready for action, another 30 sized and ready for subsequent testing. Next weekend I'll try my new hunting load on paper, after that I'll be looking forward to some piggy smackdown!
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
what is your load for this ? standard 45 colt or 454 casull pistol?
It's a 4 5/8 Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I have a RUGER BLACKHAWK/CONTENDER ONLY load of 21grs of 296 that is pretty awesome under a Hornady j-word, thot I'd try it under the RD boolit. It's air cooled 60/40 WW/PB for now, may rethink the boolit hardness after a few porcine encounters. The RBH is mainly a backup gun so it doesn't get much use. Used a sedate Universal load on a smallish hog with disappointing results a few months ago, decided to opt for a bit more horsepower.
Sorry about the caps, I'd rather not post that load because it's a bit warm for Colts and Colt clones.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
I wanna see pictures of the HOGS! Need help? My .45 colt is ready to draw blood too!
I understand i have a rugher super redhawk in 454 casull so i can fire that load also , i use the wc820 surp in mine its a aa#9 clone or same powder diff lot . works great in 357 -454 casull i even am working on a 308 load good stuff too bad it isnt available anymore , how sedate was the dissapointing round fps?, want to ...never went hog huntin . not close to my home..
It was pretty sedate, BBG, 7.5 Universal under a Lyman 452424. Pretty sure it was under 800fps but my chrono hasn't seen the light of day in years. Put it this way, 27 grs of KIK FFFg was a big step up. As you may know the 21gr load is not a max Ruger load by some loading standards but it's all I want to shoot and curiously accurate with the Hornady J-word. Can't wait to touch a few off and see how they do. Still have plenty of the Hornaday loads I assembled in 97, BTW.
Have some pics from our December hunt somewhere in this section, Lefty. You may recall a very relaxed red piggie curled up next to my Ruger.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts228
Big Bro sent me an e-mail of a slightly oversize hog killed in/outside the town of Winter Haven, Fl. I don't know how to copy and paste the photos, but if you do a search on hog/pig and Winter Haven, Fl I suspect you'll find the photos. If you can't find them I'll try to cut and paste it (one of 'em) here. There were 3 photos total. How big? The e-mail said it's an estimated 1800 pounds. No, it doesn't look like a feral piggy either!
Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts228
Yeah, that's it. The photo on the web site is clearer than the copies my brother sent. Looking at them real close I can see slight "gotchas" that didn't show in my e-mail. Not only is the size humongous (suspicious by itself) but the way the photos are posed make the risk of phonieness (is that a word?) much higher. Good catch!
Yeah, I'm always real suspicious when the mighty hunter is behind the animal in the pics; much better to put something in front, ie, a rifle, to get the true scale.

At least this one is real.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
What do you do with a hog that big, he has to stink bad enough to choke a maggot the ones 101 shows is the size to kill and eat. IMHO
Pilgrim is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationWashington StatePosts228
I was wondering how something that big (assuming it's real) could remain hidden long enuf to get so big. I mean Fl is a bit more populated than say Wyoming, or... I guess if bigfoot can do it...
What do you do with a hog that big, he has to stink bad enough to choke a maggot the ones 101 shows is the size to kill and eat. IMHOThose big stinky ones are fun, and a lot less work. Smaller ones are fun too, worthy of the freezer space.
I've studied on that Pensacola pig too. It was a big piggie, just not 1800 lbs. I've seen (and even shot!) pigs in the 500 lb class and I know they get bigger.
Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
pls1911 is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2008LocationTexasPosts568
Cookin size for me is measured by a 5 gallon bucket...
If it fits, it gets a place on the smoker.
Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion
I wanta hog hunt so bad! I wish we would finally get infested with wild boars here in S. Middle Tn.
I wanta hog hunt so bad! I wish we would finally get infested with wild boars here in S. Middle Tn.
Be careful what you wish for! You might regret it. Here in Texas, feral hogs do Millions of dollars worth of damage to crops each year. And that not counting the cost of erosion and habitat damage. I had a good deer lease in Central Texas that was overrun by hogs in just 2 years. They pushed the deer almost completely out.
The landowner's cattle operation went from a profit to a loss in 3 years due to crop damage, hogs eating cattle feed, and even due to hogs eating newborn calves. (hogs are omnivores)

Having said that; hogs ARE fun to hunt and make some good eating after being on the smoker for several hours! I love to take 1/2 of a 60-75 lb hog and put it on the smoker for about 8 hrs. It's REALLY good eatin'.

Yes I can spell, I just can't type!
Ken

NRA Life Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

I wanta hog hunt so bad! I wish we would finally get infested with wild boars here in S. Middle Tn.I hear that, Mass is woefully lacking in wild pig population also. Of course in this damn fool state they propably would not let us hunt them anyway.
Paul G.
Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
-- R. Buckminster Fuller

What km101 said! You really don't want feral hogs because of their negative impact on hunting and agriculture. My brother sees more hog pics than deer on his game cam, ratio is probably 3-4 to 1. Because of their remarkable ability to breed and adapt they are nearly impossible to manage as a game animal without a concerted effort.
Yes, they're fun to hunt and I prefer wild pork over most meats but we'd be better off with a much smaller population of them.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment