Sunday, May 26, 2013

I guess age/hardness is a big deal

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I poured a mess of lee 356-124 2r's a month or so ago.
They dropped @ 7bhn using a saeco.
I started shooting them about 2 weeks later @11-12 bhn. Double lubed 45-45-10.
A fair amount of leading was present. Not ribbons, but lots of particles.

I fired about 60 rounds of the same yesterday, returned to my bench to scrub out the inevitable lead, and there was nothing but a few crumbs!
A month old and They're right at 16 bhn now.
All I can say is YAY!!!

If something is worth shooting once, it's worth shooting a bunch of times.
I have also been disappointed trying to cast and shoot the same day or the same week.
The bullets not only harden over time, they also grow a little in size. The new softer bullets tend to size a little smaller ( no spring back as they exit the sizing die ) but the hardness should be taken into consideration also. So for me I must use a different sizing die (I don't have one ) also the load needs to be adjusted for the softer bullets.
bottom line for me is to water drop ( I hate doing it ) or oven age at 250* for an hour and let cool to hasten the hardening, or oven heat at 450 for an hour and quench ( size first )
I also don't have an old toaster oven. So while there are things I could, I can't for the lack of a few items. So I find something else to do and let the bullets do there thing.
Two weeks can be a long time
*Cohesiveness*Leadership*a common cause***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters
I get as far ahead in my casting as I possibly can.
I have this winters/next springs rifle boolits sitting waiting for weight sorting and loading already. [they are checked and lubed]

I try to cast something at least once a week, even if it's only 2-3 hours worth,
it adds up pretty quickly.

it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Cane_man is online now Boolit Master Join DateMar 2013Posts294
or oven heat at 450 for an hour and quench ( size first )
I also don't have an old toaster oven.is there a health concern if you heat the boolits to 450 in the kitchen oven?
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment