Monday, May 27, 2013

50/50 for cast boolits using smokeless powder?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I have a bunch of 50/50 lube(beeswax and crisco) that I made up for ctgs when I was shooting black powder loads in my '61 ctg. convert Colt in 38spl and my Sharps carbine in 45/70 loaded with black powder. My question is will this stuff work well enough for cast lead boolits in 9x18mm Mak or should I stick with Alox? Thanks in advance.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
NO ONE has used or knows if you can use 50/50 Beeswax/Crisco lube on smokeless powder handgun rounds like the 9x18mm? Wow! I thought ya'll knew everything around here, LOL.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
frank - I don't really know if anybody uses the Crisco mix with the BW. I kind of think not, because Crisco is rumored to "go bad" after a while ?? Stink ?? So - guys probably don't use it on purpose for smokeless. Just my take. Mike
I saw Elvis at 1000 feet. John Force
Ahh, ok, guess that might make sense. I got the 50/50 recipe off of a black powder forum that I use to hand out on and it works great for black powder ctgs., just wonder if it'd be stout enough to work with smokeless powder bullets. Also, is there any way to unmix the beeswax from the crisco? I could maybe separate it and use the beeswax with something else to make up some lube if?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Frank: I thought someone else might respond to the "unmix" question and I forgot about it until tonight. I'm no chemist or knowledgeable boolet lube person, but I think unmixing alox and crisco is sort of like unshooting a boolet.

I make my own NRA 50/50 from Alox 350, microcrystalline wax and beeswax. If I didn't already have the Alox 350, I would just buy lube from LsStuff. If your time is worth more than a couple of dollars per hour, it is cheaper to buy.

the problem with unmixing them is they both go to the same place.
you could try boiling them in water until the lube melts, and see if they separate and reform in different layers.

don't use the wifes new pot or one she likes.

it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I am pretty sure I would just load up 50 and go have a range consultation with Dr. Gunn before I do anything....then:

If it fails it will be due to the viscosity of the lube not the components used to make it. If it leaves you less than happy......simply incrementally add small amounts of paraffin to it and try again....I bet you go woohoo by the second or third try. The paraffin will help to encapsulate the natural parts with petro parts...you will find happiness simply adding a bit of paraffin......I will bet on it in fact.

"Happiness is a target rich environment"
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment