Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gas check diameter

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts32

On my 8mm Mauser when gas checks are applied, that portion of the bullet has a wider diameter then the rest of the bullet. The portion of the bullet with out the gas check is .325 the portion of the bullet with the gas check is .333. Interestingly, enough I have not had any problems shooting these rounds with gas check applied out of my 8mm. Also, I never noticed the gas check inside the barrel or anything like that it seems to always at least eject with the boolit. I apply my gas check with a rubber mallet with out crimping perhaps crimping would remove the discrepancy 324-175-1R is the mold it should accept gas checks. Perhaps, this is normal occurrence, I have just started reloading..
Last edited by ell198679; Yesterday at 12:13 PM.
The gas check needs to be crimped on, get a lee push thru sizer at .325? for your single stage press.
I"m supprised the loaded rounds even chambered in your rifle as the case neck would be expanded oversize.
Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
SASS 15704
Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts32
Thank you. I read on here that you can also use a .30 caliber factory crimp die. I tried it and after adjusting the technique works fine.
I suggest you also get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (#3 or #4) or the Lyman #49 reloading manual and study it carefully. Learn the basics as that will better keep you out of trouble in your reloading endeavors. While expediants are helpfull to do sometimes it is always better to get the proper equipment and tools to do the job.

Larry Gibson

ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts32
Yes I have been looking into the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook trying to find one that isn't 50 bucks but hey may be a worth while investment. I will likely get a lub sizer because it takes care of the lubing, sizing and crimping apparently. Something that is easy to forget if you do it step by step. However, they are impossible to purchase.... right now anyways.
However, they are impossible to purchase.... right now anyways.

That does seem to be the problem these days.......panic buying of everything.......

Larry Gibson

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment