Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"Lubri-sizer" or Lee sizing dies?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Woodsman 22 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateDec 2012Posts7

Okay, first let me apologize if this is not the right forum for the question I have- I couldn't decide if it should be here or in "reloading". As you can see from my low post count, I am new to boolit casting.
Basically, I am unsure if I should go with Lee sizing dies for the (at present three) calibers that I am going to reload for, or if I should invest in something like a Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer Bullet Sizer and Lubricator with Heater? And I confess that I am ignorant of the advantages and disadvantages of each system, although at first glance the Lee system does seem to make more sense from the perspective of pushing the bullet upward and not needing special "top punches" for the process. Lyman seems to have a good name and make quality products, but from product reviews at Midway I get the impression that Lee's stuff is "variable" in quality. So I am on the fence on this and don't know which side to jump off of! Can someone enlighten me as to the advantages of the (much more expensive) Lyman product vs. the Lee system? Thanks in advance for any replies.
If I could go back in time and smack myself everytime I could have bought a STAR sizer and did not....I would have some pretty serious head trauma by now.

Panlubing works, the lee system works, the lee system combined with a lyman sizer that just lubes works good for long skinny boolits.....but like I said if I could start over and retain the knowledge...I would have owned a STAR one ell of alot sooner. I will have another one as soon as I can afford it. One stroke perfection with minimal fuss...what's not to love?

"Happiness is a target rich environment"
Woodsman 22 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateDec 2012Posts7
357 Maximum; Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated (I know that "newbie" questions annoy some of the old hands at this stuff) but what is the advantage of sizing nose first as opposed to the Lee "bottom up" approach? Why use two different products for the same operation? I would take your advise about the Star sizer unit, but I gather they are very expensive and hard to find, especially the sizer dies, and I am on a beginner's budget (my wife is having conniptions over my spending on this hobby already). Again, thanks for your reply and bearing with my elementary questions.
Raven_Darkcloud is offline Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationBanks, ORPosts83
I did the pan lube then got a lyman 45. Nuf said.
pain lubing does alright with a sizing die.
the push through dies have some advantages with the longer boolits.
the lyman types seat gas checks on some boolits better.
i went from a lyman to a star in one day and don't regret it,although i wish i would have kept it sometimes.
even with three stars i still tumble lube a couple of my boolits.

my advice is pick a style, learn it, and use it.
then look at learning another.

it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

The Lee bullet sizing dies work well. They are $20 and come with a bottle of alox. You can lube and size a lot of bullets with one of them while you are saving up for something else. It's cheap and gets you started.
I did the pan lube then got a lyman 45. Nuf said.Did the tumble for awhile, then did the same as Raven. Best decision I've made as far as sizing and lubing.
I like the Lee tumble lube and sizing system for TL boolits, I tolerate the Lyman for grease groove boolits. If I lubed more GG boolits I'd read up on the Star, sounds like an excellent system.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
I started with a new 4500, because I didn't want to have to deal with pan lubing, though I did try it, nor Alox in it's various concoctions, and due to its dubious performance. I use two different lubes, one for rifles and one for handguns, so an older 45 was added.

I consider the cost of nose punches and sizing dies as part of the hobby, no different than a mould, tool or any other piece of equipment.

oldfart1956 is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2009Posts182
Guess I'm the odd duck here. Started out pan lubing and using Lee push-thru sizing dies. (they size nose first by the way) Kinda slow but puddy much idiot-proof. Good for me! Then ended up with a Lyman 450 in a large buy and thought I'd found heaven. Found out it's a pita to change dies constantly and they're really expensive and hard to modify. I can hone the Lees' out to any size I require. A single Lyman die is $30/$40....Lee is under $20. Rather than take up space on the bench I mount the Lyman on a work-mate when needed. Which is kind of a pita too. Then I tried the Recluse loob. Works on regular boolits as well as tumble loob design boolits. Faster than pan lubing and I'd advise buying it rather than making it. Unless like me you're up to your eyeballs in them little bottles of Lee alox. Now I use both. The Lyman with Felix and the Lee with Recluse. I compare results on the range and pick which one works better. I've found very few loads that actually work better using the Lyman/Felix over the Lee/Recluse lube....but...sometimes it does matter. For starting up...I'd go with the Lee/Recluse system. Inexpensive, surprisingly accurate, easy to modify. Just my opinion of course. Audie...the Oldfart..
Dang Audie,

I don't know where you were buying your Lyman sizing dies, but Midsouth has them (RCBS or Lyman) for under $25.00. I do balk at paying almost $10.00 for a top punch; but a short section of 1/4" rod makes a good one for flat nosed boolits, and the perfessor is cheaper if you can't make your own.

Woodsman 22,

I have three lubrisizers right now, an RCBS Lubamatic and two Lyman 450's, one of which needs a few parts. I like the RCBS better, but both brands work and the dies interchange. I also have a few Lee sizing dies. One thing about the in and out style, they are relatively slow.

Robert

Woodsman 22 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateDec 2012Posts7
First I want to thank you all for your input and your patience with a newbie like me. I really appreciate the coaching from those who have "been there and done that". Thinking about all your advice, I think I am going to go with the Lyman 4500 since it seems like a good system and can seat gas checks too.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment