Sunday, May 19, 2013

Why is this happening?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Not bad actually for your first day casting!
Few questions:
Whats your pot temp at?
What type of melt you using?
What type of mold?

You can clean your mold again, and I myself dont think it'll make a difference.
Try developing a rythym to your casting. What i do is cast fast till I get grainy looking boolits when they cool, then i slow down.
I might take 10-15 seconds between casts, leave my mold open to cool down. Cast one, if they fall out when I open mold, my molds is at optimum temp.
I'll then cast another right behind it. If they fall out, I'll keep the cadence up, leaving my mold open 10 seconds, cast. I might even throw a double back to back cast in, if my boolits stick a little in the mold.
You play around once you hit that shiny complete fill out of your boolits, you'll establish a rythym that works.
One thing i do do is 6 seconds on sprue solidifying. Longer than 6 sec, my boolits are sticking. If over the 6 sec mark, I'll close mold, leave sprue plate open for 10 then start again.
On my sprue, once up to temp, I leave very little on sprue plate. I pressure cast with my Lyman furnace and leave very little sprue. Just enough to suck down for complete base fill out.
One thing also, is when your boolits fall out and you got a rythym and are getting the shiny casts, cut your sprue and get the mold open fast. Taking too long will make the boolits stick in mold.
I've developed this rythym, cadence and it works good for me. My casts come out looking good, they are filled out perfect. They fall out of the mold as soon as I start to open them up. Sometimes this can even become irritating, as they're still hot, mold starts to open, they get dinged because they are starting to fall quicker than I can get the mold open.

Also...that boolit you made is quite shootable. Looks like one of my NOE molds I use for my 45-70 PB

FishingFool is offline Boolit Bub Join DateDec 2012Posts22
I'm using 92-6-2 alloy and I varied the temp all day along with the pot rate outta the lyman 4-20. When it got frosty I'd stop and re evaluate and change it up again. The bullets looks nice except for this issue I'm having. It's almost as if there is sand or something in the mold that it can't be because I cleaned it and I was inspecting the mold between casts. I'm gonna hit it with acetone and try again in the morning.
FF, I am guessing you don't have a thermometer. I very much doubt that it is a dirty mold problem. Casting is a fine balancing act as pointed out in the previous post by 41 mag fan. My best guess is that you are running too hot on the alloy and your casting cadence is irregular trying to balance it out.
Practice makes for better and sometimes perfect. Fortunately, you can melt your practice bullets.
I'm just getting back into casting. The first session I melted several scores of mistakes. After I got back into the swing of things, I got better results. You will too.
Flux the metal. Thermometer is a marginally useful luxury. That is probably crud in
the metal, flux to clean and mix it well.

Good looking casting except for the dirty/poorly mixed metal.

Bill

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
My guess is the nose portion of the mold is way too hot. I would reduce the lead temperature and find the proper cadence.
That will not hurt how the boolit shoots if it is filled out and might wipe off with a rag anyway.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment