Friday, May 3, 2013

.45 from 40S&W casings: My journey to success

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

JrSwage is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts2

I recently came into possession of a 1911 80% frame that I finished and turned into a very beautiful mix of new and old. I ran into an issue with ammuntion however. So I decided to do some research and came across another post by a member here and it sparked my attention. I looked around at several diffrent dies that would complete my goals with minimal modification. I found that the 260 Remmington FL sizer had the perfect diameter for my needs (only 2/1000 off target). So I bought the cheapest die I could find to possibly destroy my dreams of making my own ammo. I was surprised to find that it was way easier than I thought!

The following is a journal of sorts to keep those members of this forum informed on my progress and growth. I hope you all can bare with me on my explanation of how I intend to complete my goal.

I bought the Lee 260 Rem FL resizing die for 17USD shipped. It arrived in 2 days very much so faster than the 10-14 days I was expecting. I opened it up and took a look at the shiny brand new walls inside thinking to myself that they would soon be destroyed. I annealed a casing and poured it with lead before crossing my fingers and sliding it in the end of the die. I searched for something to fit in the end of the die and found that a wratchet extension I had fit perfectly! I "ghettofied" the first round with a hammer and used a center punch to remove it. From the die. I thought I had ruined the die as it fell out. To my amazement came this beautifully horrid looking piece of crunched up brass.

I was surprised to see that it did infancy look a lot like a bullet! The center punch I used also made it into a hollow point instead of a flat nose like I was expecting. I was overjoyed at this horrible looking piece of yellowish white metal.

My plans from this point on:

1: find some way to make bullets faster and without a hammer (I have some ideas already).

2: make an auto-eject system

3: don't screw up the die!

If anyone has any ideas on how I might possibly accomplish this please speak up. This is the first time I ever made a bullet and I would like as much help as possible.

I will post photos as soon as I can figure out how, the prompt says I don't have enough permissions.

-Jr.

JrSwage is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts2
Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	image.jpg <br />Views:	5 <br />Size:	22.0 KB <br />ID:	65590

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	image.jpg <br />Views:	5 <br />Size:	25.4 KB <br />ID:	65591

That's what I have of the bullet thus far. I still have to figure out how I'm gonna make the press I have for reloading work. The sizing die punch I had didn't work out as planned. It doesn't fit in my press for some reason. I think the portion that fits into the reloading press is just a smidge to thick.

-Jr.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment