Wednesday, May 8, 2013

8mm mauser loads. from 7.62x51 NATO (.308 WCF) Brass? (re-formed)

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

8mm mauser loads. from 7.62x51 NATO (.308 WCF) Brass?
Trimmed, thinned, and annealed and re-squeezed,
How is this done?
I have bardan primed brass to use for dia. and could even pull the J-words
and have some 7,62x51 brass in route as a package deal so
I have a mauser and brass prices are ugly, so I have read something about this, can this be done? anyone ever done this or have I misunderstood

I am not ready to start doing this but if i could start to read up on it and learn nuff to be safe, and then il know right questions to ask so I dont sound so dumb about re-squeezeing,, hahaha

Please advise
Patrick

cross posted to our town

Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

**_Watch this Space_**

eljefeoz is offline Boolit Bub Join DateApr 2012LocationVictoria, AuPosts23
I have done 8x57 and 7x57 from 30-06.
Nope,I dont think so...
Last edited by eljefeoz; Yesterday at 04:37 AM.
Yep, too short. Use 30-06 cases to make 8X57, it's easy. Be careful if you also own a 30-06, not to get them mixed up.

-Nobade

CATS is offline Boolit Master Join DateAug 2010Posts157
Use 30-06 brass. Pick a brand that you have enough of and convert all of them. So then, when you are at the range you will know not to use that brand of your reloaded ammo in your 30-06. Also, label the storage containers outside and inside so that some one coming after you does not think that it is ammo for a 30-06. A good example is to use HXP cases because they do not have 30-06 stamped on them,which should cause you or the next person to check dimensions if the identity of the ammo is lost in the future.
I don't get the statement that "brass prices are ugly." Brass availability may be touch-and-go, but prices for new stock aren't any worse than they ever were. Adjust for inflation and the stuff isn't any pricier than it was 40 years ago.

As far as 8mm Mauser brass goes, it's out there. A thorough Google search turned up a bunch of it.

I use .270Win brass to make 8X57 Mauser cases. I don't have a .270 so the headstamp alerts me that this is not .308 or .30-06 which I do have. For some reason .270 brass is much more plentiful as range pickups than .30-06 where I live.
I make my 8mm from military 30-06, I make my 7.65X53 from military 06, I make my 7x57 and 7x57A.I from military 30-06, and I make my 35 Whelen from commercial .270 and it is as foolproof as I can make it as my ammo may outlast my time on this rock, but if you cannot look at a loaded .308, 8mm, 7.65 argy round or 35 whelen round and tell it is not what is stamped on the case head...SHOULD YOU BE AT THE RANGE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

.308 is too short to make 8x57

"Happiness is a target rich environment"
Soon as I read it I was think"too short".
When reforming brass I use a Dremel tool to very carefully remove the old cartridge designation on the head. A light touch is key. I have a lot of 7.65x53 and 7x57 made from .270 in RCBS form/trim dies. Easy schmeezy. I figure no "label" is better than an incorrect one.
Sparkz, I sent you a PM.

Dan

7.62X51

7.92X57

Says it all

The sum total of intelligence in the world is a constant, the population is increasing.
Gunnut 45/454 is offline Boolit Master Join DateMay 2011Posts237
Yep they'd be way short. Use '06, or .270.
I make my 8mm from military 30-06, I make my 7.65X53 from military 06, I make my 7x57 and 7x57A.I from military 30-06, and I make my 35 Whelen from commercial .270 and it is as foolproof as I can make it as my ammo may outlast my time on this rock, but if you cannot look at a loaded .308, 8mm, 7.65 argy round or 35 whelen round and tell it is not what is stamped on the case head...SHOULD YOU BE AT THE RANGE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

.308 is too short to make 8x57

While you know the difference. And I know the difference. Neither you, nor I can guarantee that someone, sometime down the road will have that ammo and not know (actually I think it is probable that someone will, I just won't guarantee that it will happen). Personally, I use .270 to form the 7x57 cases I use in my Model 1910 Rolling Block, and keep the 7x57 cases for loads which are a bit stiff for the RB. Years ago I formed cases from the cheap USGI cases (wish any brass was $0.01 to $0.02 each again). Now, with the availability of the various cases which once were nearly impossible to find, I keep my .30-06 cases for the 06 rifles and buy the foreign military cases.

Why anyone would ask if they can form 8x57mm cases out of 7.62x51mm cases is a different issue. Perhaps the OP didn't know that metric cartridges are designated: nominal caliber x case length? Or maybe thought expanding 7.62mm to 8mm would cause the case to lengthen 6mm?

Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
NRA Patron
TX State Rifle Assn Life
NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX

Delicately grind off the old cartridge headstamp with a Dremel tool. It's fast, easy, and decreases the chances of a boo-boo. I'm not talking about grinding away enough to affect safety, just barely remove the lettering/numbers. So far it's worked for me.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment