Monday, May 20, 2013

Milling Lee 310g 44 mold

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

mattd is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts2

Should be great but so you know it will work without the gc as is.
No. It is better to open the GC area to a PB.
It would have a nice strong base band either way. I like a nice strong base band...
No. It is better to open the GC area to a PB.What he said!!!
Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
SASS 15704
Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

mattd is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts2
No. It is better to open the GC area to a PB.Not looking to lose the GC necessarily. Just some weight. For me its the best shaped bullet from Lee in 44. Just wish it was a little smaller.
Highgravity is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013LocationMiddle of the MittenPosts2
I did just what you are suggesting. I had a tool maker at work mill .100 off the top. Had to shorten the sprue plate screw little. It drops them from 265gr. to 275gr. depending on alloy. They shoot great.
I did just what you are suggesting. I had a tool maker at work mill .100 off the top. Had to shorten the sprue plate screw little. It drops them from 265gr. to 275gr. depending on alloy. They shoot great.I "inheirited" a Lee 310 that has been milled down to remove the gas check. It's weight is 267g from ww+1% tin. It shoots great in all my 44 mag revolvers. I also have a Lee 310 mould that just had the gas check shank reamed out. It does not perform as well as the aforementioned 267 grainer. IMHO the resultant boolits from that modification don't hold enuf lube.
It's all chicken, even the beak!
I've wanted to do the same thing. I like the RF shape, but think it would be too heavy in my S&W 629 in stock form. Glad to know the weight when .100 is milled off, thanks Highgravity.
wmitty is offline Boolit Master Join DateApr 2005Locationsulphur springs, TxPosts283
Shuz

Were you having a problem with leading or did the boolet not perform accuracy wise?

Not really. If you looked at my .475 and .500 boolits that shoot the best, they have thin base bands.
What is forgotten is a PB needs to be a harder alloy and the 310 gr still needs shot fast enough for stability.
If you want a lighter boolit it is OK to mill but if you still want a 310 a PB will work as long as you toughen the alloy. I like the 310 so much for deer I would not make it lighter and just go to the 265 RD instead. Another wonderful boolit.
I have gotten away from GC's in revolvers and even my .500 JRH uses a PB, soon to be tested in a .500 S&W. I HATE to pay for the things!
Lee C430-310-RF with Gas Check (GC) and converted to Plain Base (PB)

Name: 44 Magnum GC and PB.jpg<br />Views: 20<br />Size: 17.0 KB

With GC shank weight 306 grains cast from 50% pure lead - 50% hardball alloy.
With GC shank weight 282 grains cast using my mix of mostly Mono/Linotype.
PB no GC shank weight 265 grains cast from 50% pure lead - 50% hardball.

I wanted to use the GC version for rifle, and PB version in my 629.

- Bullwolf

Shuz

Were you having a problem with leading or did the boolet not perform accuracy wise?

I was having a problem with leading and accuracy. My records show that my alloy was only Saeco 4 and that may be part of the problem. I have a few other 300 g nominal 44 moulds and haven't bothered to sort out the 310M any further.
It's all chicken, even the beak!
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment