Monday, May 20, 2013

I have broken the number 1 rule with using lee pots....

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I just spent the last 40 mins cleaning up 15 pounds of 50/50 lino/coww. I walked away from the pot long enough to check on something in the house and came back to a rather large pile of alloy. At least I know I am not the first or last to do it.
I'm still pretty new to casting and use a Lee Pro 4-20 pot and would like to ask a question. I've read of this happening and have to admit I'm guilty of leaving the pot on and running in the house to grab something a time or two. I've always wondered when this happens if it is typically on initial fire up of the pot and something sticks or freezes from sitting a while or if it happens after an hour or two of casting. Would you mind to elaborate a little on how this event transpired so I can learn a little here as well?

I get that it isn't a good idea to leave molten pots of lead sitting around unattended but a guy has to hit the head, line out his two sons playing in the yard, forgets something he needs in the basement on the reloading bench etc.... Just always been curious how likely this is to happen after the pot is up to temp vs. on start-up if that makes sense.

Just turn the valve pin with a screwdriver and check that it's not dripping before you go. And try not to be away for two long. I've never had a major pile-up but drips yes. So watch it for a few minutes before going anyway. No guaranties!
Regards
303Guy

?It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!? Nietzsche

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44691 Tons of great info in this sticky. MANY of us have this pot, and ALL of us who use it have come up with solutions (some good and some not so good) to make these things work. I love mine, BUT I too have made some modifications to make it work just swell. Thankfully enough, I have known several who have gone before me and LEARNED fro their mistakes. Never shall I walk away from you, Oh venerable Lee 4-20!! Or any pot, for that matter.

There are other threads on the subject and a REALLY good post from a senior member here who used threaded 3/8" rod and placed a weight on top of the valve pin to prevent the dreaded drip. I will look for it later unless someone else beats me to it.....

These valve pins "float" in molten alloy and adding weight WILL solve a lot of the issues we face.

Ain't it fun? har har!!

The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
You know that wooden knob on the side that is used to lift the pin. Unscrew the wooden knob and put a few washers on the threaded rod that the knob screws on and then put the wooden knob back on. Has been working wonders for mine the past 3-4 years. No drippies....
mine only drips at first, once it gets up to temp it will start dripping. Easy to fix if I am there. Most of the time its just a slow drip, but I am finding that with lino it runs like water.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment