Monday, May 13, 2013

SC Pig hunt question...

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I'm looking do do some piggie population control. At my disposal, I have an SKS, PSL, and a Glock 10mm. In the SKS, I'm using a 155 grain Lee cast with 19-20 grains of IMR-4198. The PSL is the same bullet with 26 grains of 4198. In the 10, it's a 175 grain TC with 9.2 grains of Blue Dot. My alloy is a medium hardness with Alox for lube. Any suggestions?
Retired Law Enforcement
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Instructor
SC Law Enforcement Division CWP Instructor
I am not an expert pig hunter, but I do know that their vitals are more forward than a deer's. Meaning that the classic "just behind the shoulder" shot puts you pretty close to guts and liver. I thought I had the diagram in my puter, but cant find it. I'm sure you will get it on the first try with a net search of "Hog Anatomy." Good luck on the hunt. Make Bacon!
You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Hogs/wild pigs have a very tough "mantle" of heavy gristle that covers the vital area. You not only must hit that
area, you must have enough "oomph" in your bullet to penetrate this gristle.

Yes, hogs have been taken with light bullets but most likely those were precisely placed on a more or less calm
animal. An angry charging boar is another story. Oh, and keep in mind, older boars have some very long and
sharp tusks and can hurt you.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !
sounds like a good time
never actually done it but from what I have been reading
big and heavy is not out of the question and also a bit desirable
Found on Google under "Anatomy of wild pig" .
Well, in my limited experience, all of your choices would be fine. I carry a Glock 40 sometimes and it works well. And being a former LEO I am fairly well versed with it and quick. Your rifle choices are fine also. I have been using the SKS round and the NOE 155 in a custom AR-15 for 10 years now with night vision. Just remember that follow up shots are your friend. Once I select a hog for jihad, I shoot until I see the animal down. I ignore all others unless they are pointed straight at me. If I need to shoot a hog 4 or 5 times, I do. I like to shoot them in the neck if at all possible. A hogs neck bones are large and thick and it imparts a lot of shock to the nervous system. Second choice is straight to the middle of the shoulder and break em down like a shotgun. Right in half. Use that shoulder bone like shrapnel to the lungs and heart. The heart, that black soulless mechanical pump that runs nitro glycerine through steel hoses, is taped to the left side of the chest right in the center of the shank of the shoulder. So one way or another if you are looking for the heart, you are looking for the shoulder.

Just remember that when wounded, you will think they are mean enough to feed off the dreams of little children and the ashes of their enemies. Think of every stupid mistake I have ever written about and pay the insurance. That one extra shot at the end wont cost you anything and may save you a lot. Sorry, by pay the insurance, I mean shoot em in the head at close range before handeling them. It insures you wont get hurt.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
Jpjames,

+1 for head shots. Feral hogs are tough and mean. I shot one about 200 lb. in the head but pulled my shot, using an AR-15 with a 50 gr V-Max bullet. We were shooting two hogs at the same time with a countdown which adds to the challenge. My buddy shot a piglet with a .17HMR rifle. I caught her 1.5"-2" behind the ear and she dropped without moving. Meant to shoot her in the ear, a sure kill shot and IMO the only reliable shot with a .223 on an adult. My hunting partner and I didn't know she was still alive until we were very close. The hit blew the back of the skull loose but didn't kill her. He put 4 quick rounds from his .17HMR pistol in her and that only made her mad. She got up and charged us from less than 10 feet. Four more quick rounds from the AR by looking along the barrel put her down permanently. We were too close for the scope to be useful. The gun and bullet would have been enough with proper shot placement but IMO it isn't enough gun for adult hogs. The V-Max is a very fragile bullet meant to expand on small soft targets like prairie dogs and coyotes. It probably shattered on the skull of the hog. Several friends swear by a 55 grain FMJ for hogs. I'll use bigger guns in the future. My 6.5mm pushing a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at a little over 2800 fps will shoot through a good sized adult hog's head so I probably won't use the AR again.

Everything you listed will be adequate. That 10mm is great insurance. I had a Ruger Blackhawk in.45 Colt loaded hot on my hip when I needed insurance and it would have been far better than the .223. There just wasn't time to get it out.

David

David

There is only one way of compromising the on Second Amendment. That is when Liberals call for Conservatives to compromise. What they really mean "give up just a little more of your rights just this once"- every time they call for compromise. Molon Labe!
pls1911 is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2008LocationTexasPosts567
+1 for 101's comments.
I use a .30-30 cast and heat treated 170 grain bullet at 1900fps, and put it high in the shoulders. I've never had anything less than complete pass through both shoulders and a pig drop drt.
My aimpoint is an imaginary 4" ball high between the shoulders, in line with the front legs, and think of that from any angle.
Put your lead there, and your pig is down ... right now....
Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion
Paul D. Heppner is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJul 2009LocationWestern NYPosts11
I've not shot a hog with a gun, but I have shot a bunch with a bow both compound and recurve. Just keep your poi low and as close to just above the elbow as you can. BROADSIDE is the key. It's too easy to only get one lung on a quartering away shot. Only one lung and you will not get them without a dog. Broadside and just above the elbow they will usually only make it about 30 yards. Shooting them like a deer is asking for trouble.
If I can't put one in a pig's ear I prefer a shoulder shot even if I do lose a bit of meat. Pigs under 120 lbs or so don't have the thick gristle plate but I still like a big boolit that penetrates well. I like a neck shot but the spine is a little tricky to visualize. Wait for a standing broadside shot if at all possible.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
nagantguy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts13
They are tough critters all right. Shot placement as always is key. You don't need a cannon just good sight alignment and trigger press along with a good bullet. The two largest hogs I've seen taken were with a 12 gauge and another with a .22 mag. Both over 300 lbs both shot in heart lung area both just as dead. Last trip to TN. A group of 3 of us took 11 hogs in 3 days with weapons ranging from SSA Colts in .45 lc to recurve bows. Good shot placement equaled dead hogs and pork in the freezer.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment