Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lee 00 buckshot mold.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

45-70 Chevroner is offline Boolit Master Join DateSep 2009LocationArizonaPosts701

How many of you have tried the Lee 00 buckshot mold? I got one about 6 months ago and my first molding session at that time was a bit dissapointing I had a lot of rejects such as lots of wrinkles and not all of the cavities filled out. I did get 5 or 6 hundred that were ok to load up and shoot. Yesterday I tried it again. This time a let the plain WW lead (no tin added) get as hot as the 10# Lee pot would get. I heated up the 18 cavity mold by dipping the end of the mold in the pot. I got it pretty hot and started casting. The first ones out of the mold were perfect and ever drop there after were perfect. I actually had only two balls that did not fill out and no wrinkles during the casting session. I cas up about 16 or 17 pounds of 00 buckshot, that translates into about 2100 00 buckshot. I think the trick, for me at least is hot, hot, hot and cast as fast as possiable. I probably won't need to cast more for quite a while.
Had my 1st session with mine a couple weeks ago. Like you, once the mold was up to temp, the fell out like eggs from an Easter basket.

Problem comes in when you try to load the .330 pellets into a shell with a standard wad. The petals must be cut off or the pellets bulge the sides of the hull.

That means of course that you have to lube the pellets... 2 more steps.

TID

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei
Get the mould very hot first on a hot plate or stove. Then cast. Fewer rejects.
I just finished lubing (alox) my #00 cast from Lee 6 cavity mold. The first several runs into the mold did not fill completely. I had my pot set at 750F. using my PID controller. The mold was hot, but needed to get hotter to fill out. The remaining runs were completely filled out and I proceeded to cast up about 15# of shot. I had a few that the mold did not completely close on and a thin web of lead was present. In all, I am well pleased with the quality and performance of the Lee mold.

I thoroughly cleaned the mold prior to use and smoked it good. It was lubed at all important points. The overall quality of the mold was better than some of the video's I have seen on YouTube. Lee must have improved production and quality control on these 6 cavity molds.

What I need now is some load information using the Cheddite (clear) 2 3/4" hulls and either Red Dot, Green Dot or Universal powder. I also have 200 Federal hulls (2 3/4") purchased from Ballistic Products. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Salute!
45-70 Chevroner is offline Boolit Master Join DateSep 2009LocationArizonaPosts701
Had my 1st session with mine a couple weeks ago. Like you, once the mold was up to temp, the fell out like eggs from an Easter basket.

Problem comes in when you try to load the .330 pellets into a shell with a standard wad. The petals must be cut off or the pellets bulge the sides of the hull.

That means of course that you have to lube the pellets... 2 more steps.

TID

I had no problems loading them at all. The thing is you can only get 8 of them in the shot wad, 8 of them weigh a little less than an oz. I use a 1oz wad in a 2 3/4" Win. AA shell, I drop 2 at a time in and they stack perfectly. I am using 18 1/2 grs. of unique. I think they are running about 1100 ft per second. I don't lube the 00's at all, and I have no bulging at all.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment