Saturday, May 11, 2013

Gas Checked Loading Question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

brasshog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts10

I am loading for my 357 GP100 using VV330 for my 147gr SWC-HP-GC and 150gr SWC-GC boolits and would like to know if I need to stay with the standard CB load data or can I "push it alittle" towards the jacketed loads since it's checked. There is such a large gap in charge data for the two loads of the same weight below that it made me wonder if a checked boolit would be kinda like in the middle range or possible only slightly more than a plain base CB. Also, these are cast semi-soft with no WW added out of the purest scrap that I could get. I don't know the hardness but if I had to guess then it would be between a 20/1 and 30/1 alloy of about BH10-12. Getting that HP to expand might take 900fps-1100fps if it is still too hard an allow. I'm an avid loader but digress that I have loaded very few checked boolits in the past. This will be all my purpose self defense round for the woods here in florida and for shtf (38spl) loading. I will take a small hog with this if presented the opportunity. I know that I need to hunt with a heavy boolit but for now this is my only mold as I am currently getting back into casting and loading. Also, I will be rabbit hunting with the swc's until I can get a wadcutter mold that has a crimp groove. I appreciate any input. Admins- I posted here since this question is about loading for hunting. If it shoud be in the "Gas Checked" then I apologize.

Vihtavuori data for 158gr using VV330:
158gr LSWC/HP: 3.9gr (791fps)-5.0gr (997fps)
158gr Speer HP: 15.1gr (1480fps)-15.9 (1569fps)
Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_6173.jpg <br />Views:	13 <br />Size:	30.6 KB <br />ID:	66036

Click image for larger version. <br /><br />Name:	IMG_6174.jpg <br />Views:	13 <br />Size:	26.8 KB <br />ID:	66037

Last edited by brasshog; 03-31-2013 at 07:40 PM.
about the only help I can give is for you to try it.
nevermind the cut-off between cast and jaxketed data.
if it shows a max of say 6 grs with cast and 9 with jaxketed then you are safe to go to 9grs as far as pressure.
gas checks are good band-aids for soft alloy i'd go with a semi slow powder.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I wish I could help. But I just dont know about VV powders. Your boolit choice is great, so a lot of confidence there. Good luck to you.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
I have never had any problem running gaschecked boolits in 357 mag up to and beyond jacketed book loads. As long as the fit is right, alloy correct, and powder appropriate they work as good or better than factory made.

-Nobade

Cast boolits make less pressure than j-words, so you can always get more speed with the cast boolit than you can with the j-words at the same pressure.
Like was said already, if the fit is good, with a gas check you should be able to go right past the copper condom'd bullet.
brasshog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts10
Thanks for all of input guys. As soon as I get a chance to expand some in some poor critter I'll post pics.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment