Friday, June 28, 2013

Past Tense of Cast

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I have contemplate this problem for a long time. I have even sleep on it. I hope I have not waste my time, but I still don't have an answer.
PS the upside down question mark is not on the site I referenced. Where did you find it and what is it used for? alt+0191? I consider it a sideways look or quizzical look, slant of the head when asking a question. I'll take a look at your list too.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

?At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat?--Theodore Roosevelt

I just checked that ALT 0191 is not in the list I referenced. Odd omission.

There are several gaps in the list. My statement of 254 ALT characters was an error. I just looked at the full list.

Last edited by alamogunr; Today at 04:50 PM.
http://grammarist.com/usage/casted/

Cut/pasted from the above link...

Usage of "Casted"

The verb cast is conventionally uninflected in the past tense and as a past participle. Casted is an old form—examples are easily found in texts from every century from the 14th to the present—but it has given way to cast in modern English. In current usage, however, casted is gaining ground, especially where cast means either (1) to assemble actors for a performance, or (2) to throw out bait and/or a lure on a fishing line. (Both these senses have extended metaphorical uses where casted is likewise used at least some of the time). Many people object to casted, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is catching on and not likely to go away soon.

ExamplesFirst, let’s look at two examples of the traditional form. In this example, cast is used as a past-tense verb:

I cast my line, and sure enough he was all over it. [Colorado Angler]
And in this sentence, cast is a past participle:

Ranulph Mabier, cast ashore by one of the Channel’s fierce storms, comes to live with the du Frocqs … [Shelf Love]
When the verb cast means to assemble a lineup of actors, the past-tense and past-participle casted is becoming more common. Here are a few examples of the word in action:

Jessica Biel, left, and Jaime Foxx, centre front, star in Garry Marshall’s impressively casted romantic comedy Valentine’s Day. [Metro News]

The total votes casted in Uniontown on Tuesday were 1,431, which represented a turnout of 55 percent. [Associated Press via Real Clear Politics]

It has casted a pall over Delhi’s Games just as the problem-plagued event has begun to iron out the kinks. [Australian]
Of course, we are never required to use casted, and those who prefer the older form can go on using it, even in theater- and fishing-related contexts. Most editors around the English-speaking world still stamp it out when they see it
My 2c:

"Cast" as in "cast boolit" is a descriptive term of the noun "boolit." To me that makes it an adjective. Adjectives don't have past/present tenses. For example (adjectives in caps): " a HOT coal". "a RUSTY shotgun", "a CAST boolit."

You don't have past tenses of "HOT", "RUSTY", or "CAST" as these words describet he noun, not an action word (which would be a verb).

IF "cast" was used as verb, I believe it would be be "cast" for past, present or future tenses.

"Yesterday, I cast some boolits." (past tense of the verb form "cast." )
"Tomorrow, I will cast some boolits." (future).

Now, if you ever write a movie about cast boolits, and have to hire a cast to find out who has the LEAD role (ha, ha, ha), you may have to resort to using the term "CASTED" as you describe the selection and audition process that was conducted.

"Last year, I casted for the actor parts in the cast boolit action-adventure movie. We had to cast a wide net to get the right person for the lead in the movie "Get the lead out." The irony was that the lead actress was told to "break a leg" for good luck in the movie screening, and she did just that. I got to sign her leg cast . "

Stop asking these tough questions about grammar and cast/MAKE some boolits.

Last edited by catboat; Today at 05:10 PM.
Actually, I read it as neither is incorrect.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

I'm surprised someone hasn't requested this thread be moved to "Humor and Off Topic"
Last edited by alamogunr; Today at 05:02 PM.
This thread has caused me to have much greater appreciation for the truth that this site is dedicated to Cast Boolits, no matter when you poured or ladled (is that a word) them.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

One of my pet peeves is looking at old car ads that say "needs restored" rather tnan "needs restoration" or "needs to be restored".AWRIGHT!! Someone else who sees that as annoying, I applaud you!
rockshooter is offline Boolit Bub Join DateMar 2012LocationBoise, IDPosts30
methinks there is a tense left out between cast and shot- lubed
loren- at the Nevada cast boolet shoot!
Okay, I'll be a little contrarian. "Casted" is a legitimate past tense usage -- not for "cast" as in pouring molten metal (for which "I cast a hundred bullets" becomes "Yesterday, I cast a hundred bullets."), but for "cast" as in applying a plaster immobilizer to a (presumably broken) bone -- "The emergency room casted my broken wrist and now I can't type above 15 words per minute."
RBDAVE is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2012LocationSW OHIOPosts6
Past tense of "cast" is "shot" -- at least with most of the boolits I cast...Is recasted again past tense or future tense?
How about site and sight, they're or there or their. Obviously the kids need more computers in school. Or my real unfavorite, "I seen such and such".
Mike

Patron Member NRA
Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
US Army Vet

noylj is offline Boolit Master Join DateAug 2007LocationSouthWest USPosts824
I love the modern idea that if enough idiots use a word, than it becomes a real word.
It's so nice to know the a knowledge of English is no longer needed, since any grammar errors will simply be accepted as right due to usage.
As I was sat on the table thunkin' bout my casted boolits, me realized that myself still ain't lerned enuff.
And that post noylj, brings up one of the impropper word usages that I find annoying. Using myself when I is the correct word to use as in "John and myself went hunting " rather than "John and I went hunting with soft nosed bullets that we had cast and loaded three weeks previously"
A 7x57 and a 404, all a man needs anywhere,anytime,ever.
45-70 Chevroner is online now Boolit Master Join DateSep 2009LocationArizonaPosts765
"The die has been cast"

Actually, I believe the past tense of cast is "cost"

I believe that covers it pretty well.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment