I've been lurking for a month or so. Saw Ammosmiths video a few years ago about making .223 from 22lr and have been intrigued ever since. (The main reason I reload rifle, pistol, and shotgun, is not being able to purchase when I want to. Now it's getting to where you can find components.) I've done a lot of research on the internet and finally decided to start with couple of grade 3 and grade 5 bolts. Today I started on a grade 3 bolt, turned the head down to shaft diameter and knurled the non threaded section. Then I drilled it out to 3/8". Maybe this weekend I can bore it out to .500 inch for the drill bushing to insert, and make a punch out of the 7/16" grade 3 bolt.

Also ordered a 3' piece of .250 W1 drill rod, and a 3' piece of 4140 pre hardened in 7/8", that will be at the local Grainger store tomorrow. I'll have to wait 2 weeks for the 2 drill bushings I ordered, one for derimming and one for core swaging, if I can make it work. So far I figure I could have bought at least 500 .223 projectiles for what I've spent. I also noticed that they carry the cast iron rod, so I'll be ordering some of that too.

Thanks for a great site and all the info,
Ken