Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Reading glasses? and a scope? OK


Reply

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM Cool Reading glasses? and a scope? OK Today I had one of those rather bizarre revelations, a few days ago I had my 57th birthday, yes I'm not impressed with the golden years. As I was taking a scope off the black powder rifle to put on my RR Predator Pursuit, I was of course wearing my reading glasses, I had a Weaver K4 to go on the old smokepole, and a nice 60s or so Redfield 4X that I was going to put on the RR just to get some glass on it, as I'm not well set for buying glass at present. I have been shopping for new scopes and was almost ashamed with how bad the glass was in those two old scopes, I was attempting to level both reticles and low and behold the glass wasn't bad at all???? OK, I get them all mounted and take off my reading glasses and they are suddenly lousy again????? hhhhmmmm Of course the Redfield doesn't have enough diopter adjustment to compensate, but I don't wear glasses for distance vision, and my last DOT physical produced 20/15 vision??? sooo, where does that leave me, I don't want to wear reading glasses when I hunt, the range might not be so bad???? but, does anyone know if newer scopes would have enough compensation in focus to bring me up to speed??? The new glass I have been shopping Leupold, Redfield, and Nikon seem nice and bright, but now I'm wondering??? billymagg Reply With Quote Old Today, 05:09 AM Tnhunter's AvatarMight depend on how you are adjusting the ocular to "match" your vision? Most recommended method I've seen is to use a bright, clear sky (not looking towards sun, of course) and adjust to make the crosshairs most clear while pointing towards the sky. Most anything else will give you a focused reticle at one certain distance, perhaps making it appear out of focus at many other distances. Some say a blank white wall (without any detail) can also be used.

I'm about your age and have been wearing "readers" for years and have still been able to focus any new scope and all of my older Redfields, Lymans and Weavers using this (these) methods. The idea of needing to put on "readers" before taking a shot while hunting seems problematic to me, even though it would likely work OK while shooting at the range.

Good Luck!

__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote
a blank check made payable to "The United States of
America" for an amount of 'up to and including my life.
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this
country who no longer understand it. Reply With Quote Reply



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:00 AM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment