Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bullet for Buffalo

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Griz44mag is online now Boolit Master Join DateMay 2012LocationRepublic of Texas, District of Round Rock.Posts261

Never feed a buff a Dorito (Nacho Flavor) unless you enjoy having him/her in your lap. LOL, --- That's a story I think I would enjoy hearing.....
Griz44Mag
Christian
NRA member, NRA Range Saftey Officer
TSRA
CHL Instructor
Constitutionalist
Griz44mag is online now Boolit Master Join DateMay 2012LocationRepublic of Texas, District of Round Rock.Posts261
Anyone have any opinions on the CVA rifles?
I friend of mine just offered me one he has that he can't shoot anymore (shoulder surgery).
It's chambered in 45-70 gov.
Since this is a break-open can it be loaded to the "modern" full power loads like the Ruger #1?
Of course, that means I am going to need to buy another mold and another set of dies.
(ANY excuse for another caliber?)
I am determined to take this beast with a cast bullet, even if I have to build the gun around the bullet.
Griz44Mag
Christian
NRA member, NRA Range Saftey Officer
TSRA
CHL Instructor
Constitutionalist
NVScouter is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2007LocationN.WyomingPosts423
I've seen that CVA they arent bad rifles. The ones I have seen are conversions to 300BLK and such but its the same. I'd put them in the same strength as a T/C or other break actions. The frame can strech on those so loads in the #1 range are out of the question.

That being said the trapdoor 45-70 loads are great to shoot and real thumpers. Improving on those into levergun range will get that rifle about as warm as you will want to shoot it.

I'd stick with the 405-450g molds for that bison hunt. I'm a bit envious..........

Based on the bison I have seen up in Yellowstone I would personally want something bigger than a 308 if I wasn't 100% sure I could put a bullet into the brain pan. With a cast bullet I would want at least .375 caliber, I have an agreement with my dad that if I draw a Wyoming buffalo tag I get to use his Pedersoli 45-70. I worked in Yellowstone monthly and often got to ride in on a snowmobile when no one else was really there. Heres a pic I snapped of a buff that wouldn't get out of the road.

I was maybe 5 feet away from it on my snowmobile, I felt pretty small I can tell you that.

Doug /aka Flash
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

?O?O? ????

I know where I come from
How 'bout you?

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment