Friday, June 28, 2013

Swaging Grooved Plain Alloy Boolits

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Has anyone 'invented' a boolit swage die that can put in grooves? Lube grooves or paper patch gripping grooves.
Regards
303Guy

?It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!? Nietzsche

Herters had them. They're on page 485 & 486 of my #80 catalog (1970)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
Benjamin Franklin
Any chance of a scan or photo of the pages?
Regards
303Guy

?It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!? Nietzsche

a 3-4 piece squeeze die could be what you wanna make at home.
otherwise a canellure tool might do the job, the C&H I have will roll in three.
it should be enough to grip paper.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Have you tried swaging a cast and lubed bullet? If you get the rings filled with lube you can run the bullet through the die and get the nose you want without affecting the lube grooves. I make hollow points from round-nose bullets that way all the time . . .
Herters made pistol bullet swaging dies. My 1969 catalog shows them as having vertical grooves extending about halfway down the shank. they were offered in .38, .401, .44, and 45ACP. They cost $7.49 a set. Extra nose punches were $1.49. I think I'll send an order off today.

Bob

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
Benjamin Franklin
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment