Thursday, June 27, 2013

Melting lubes safely

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I have been making emmerts improved for my Black powder loads. I use a make shift double boiler to melt and blend all the ingedients together. This means alot of standing for me ( I have MS, mobility and balance issues). I pan lube my bullets normally and pour a sheets for grease cookies also. What I am wondering is if a double boiler is the only safe way or could a slow cooker would give low med and high temp settings, or a deep fryer would give actual heat settings or something else, that could be started and left unattended for short periods? Tonight I made Emmerts up and ended up with 18 cupcake tin cakes of lube. A little over 2 lbs. Other than making grease cookies and pan lubing this will last awhile for me. WHat do you guys use to melt lubes and where
I use a toaster oven top pan lube in. Set the timer for twenty minutes at about 200 degrees, let it cool a bit then set a manicurist fan in the door.
2013 Blindfolded/Nude boolit casting tournament champion.
I tried the double boiler, IMO, too much work. A 1qt crock pot w/ removeable crock, about $15 new @ Target or Wally. Buy one with two heat settings.
EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol
Most electric hotplates are continuously adjustable. This means you can find (and mark) a setting for minimum heat needed to reach desired temp. Trivets will help spread heat. Aluminum is better than steel for this. By this means, you may be able to forego the double boiler. Actually, as long as you don't burn the beezwax or other ingredients, there is no real problem how you apply heat.
We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012

I have been making lubes for over 5 years. When I first started I also read where the double broiler is the way to go. I tried using a regular pot and had a flare up. The double broiler is not that expensive when compared to other reloading and casting tools. It is safe, fast and does a much better job of heat control. You will never burn your lube when using one as it is the steam that heats the upper pot.
A regular pot is putting the heat directly to the lube.
You may use two standard pots to heat with until you purchase the double broiler. You just find one pot that will allow you to put water in the bottom pot and then the lube pot on top. That is what I did until I purchased my broiler.
It is the same as using any other incorrect tool. If you do it wrong you could have bad results sooner or later. It is better to use the proven method. Later David
Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment