Thursday, June 27, 2013

lube storage,how long?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

tacoma is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts3

How long can I storage my lube ? Provided that they are in plastic bags, in a relative cool place ,out of the light.I am planning to buy 100 sticks,that will get me cover for at least 10 years since I can lube 1,500 45 acp bullets with one stick.
Tacoma
If it were me I wouldn't buy the 100 sticks, lubes change and inprove over time. Take a look at the Extreme Lube Quest just of the period of several months the lube have changed and inproved. Tying yourself to one lube via 100 sticks is a expence and when you have decided to try a different lube and trust me you will. You just might be stuck with 80 lube stick you need to get rid of.

I would go with 6 or so of a lube give it a go and see how it pans out. And this way you can always get fresh lube. Or maybe start making it yourself. Making lube can be quite habit forming. I liken it to tying your own fly's for fishing. Sure you can buy a good looking and good working fly, but when you do it yourself that makes it more special.
Don

Most of the commercially available lubes won't change to a significant degree with time. Like you mentioned, keep it sealed, cool, and dry.

Don, the lubes in the "quest" read haven't always been improvements. Many were wild goose chases. Many caused horrible accuracy or leading. That thread is about developing a lube that handles extremes of temperature with good accuracy. It is about experimental lunes many of which will never be used again.

10 years would be "young". I have stored lubes for 30 years with no observable change.
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore
Thirty years plus in the lube groves of cast boolits in loaded back in the seventies.
NRA Endowment Member
Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68
tacoma is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts3
Thanks to all,My lube has been BAC from Lars,Happy with it,but I gave carnauba a good try last week and seems to be less sticky, I have a good amount of reloading and casting components,but just a little low on lube and do not wont to be with out.Thanks to all again.
I started a few packages going on 5 years ago and every once in a while I pull out a stick and test it. So far no drying, degradation to this point. It is stored in plastic bags (Zip lock) and see Temp variations between -20 F to 95 F on purpose.
I've got some Magma lube in bags I have had for maybe 20yrs now? As long as the lube doesn't have other organics like veg oils, it should last indefinitely.
EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol
EDG is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005Posts566
Seal the lube in an airtight container and put it in a freezer. It should last forever.
How long can I storage my lube ? Provided that they are in plastic bags, in a relative cool place ,out of the light.I am planning to buy 100 sticks,that will get me cover for at least 10 years since I can lube 1,500 45 acp bullets with one stick.I have some 50/50 vasaline / parafin that I'm using (for case sizing) that I mixed up in 1970-something. Most lubes have some waxes in them (very stable).
trk
aka Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Winery
N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)
lotech is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateDec 2007Posts68
For the past several years, I've used Mirror Lube from the 1960s and Perfect Lube that may be from the same era. While they may have suffered deterioration, I can't tell it.
Properly stored (normal) lube in a baggie, kept away from rodents....... will outlast everyone of us give or take 6 to 10 decades or so.
"Happiness is a target rich environment"
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment